Chapter 12

Levy smiled as she watched Gajeel kneel down eye level with his daughter. She wiped her eyes as she felt a tear prick her eye. He gently checked her for injury, and she could see the barely contained fury at each wound he found. The sound of clinking metal drew her attention to the doorway where Erza emerged. She was slightly disheveled and bruised, but she had certainly had worse. "I'm glad to see things went successfully here." Erza said with a gentle smile. Levy nodded before frowning slightly. "Has Juvia not come up yet?" Erza shook her head.

Before anyone else could speak the tower began to shake. Gajeel stood, holding Avery close to his side. "We need to go before Salamander takes us down with the building." The women nodded and everyone headed for the door. "Avery, stay between me and Levy." He told her gently as he pushed her in front of him. She nodded and fell into step behind the bluenette. Lily floated beside the girl, sword in hand as they kept a look out. As they made it to the room Erza fought Vyra in, Gajeel covered his daughters eyes so she wouldn't see the blood. Erza paused at the front of their group, her eyes narrowing slightly.

"What is it?" Levy asked. Erza was quiet for a moment before shaking her head. "Nothing." They continued to the next level where they had left Juvia. The floor was wet and there were scorch marks everywhere, but there were no mages. "Where's Juvia? You don't think..." Levys voice trailed off. "No. Juvia wouldn't go down so easily. Lets get Avery out of here and then I will come back for Juvia." Gajeel said, trying to usher the women out of the room. Avery didn't miss the look that crossed his face. "What if Aunt Juvia needs help?" She asked. Gajeel wouldn't look at her.

Avery planted her feet, turning to look up at her father. "Dad you have to go find her." He looked down at her. "I have to get you out first." "It might be too late then!" She shouted, catching Gajeel off gaurd. He took a deep breath and knelt in front of her again, gently gripping her shoulders. "You have to do exactly as Erza and Levy tell you, understand? You can trust them. They're my friends." Both women looked slightly shocked but he ignored them. Avery nodded. "And when you get back, the three of us can be a family again. Right?" She asked hopefully.

Gajeel gave a gentle smile, that only his daughter had ever seen. Levy blushed softly at the gentle face. "That's right squirt. Now go wait for me." Avery nodded, hugging him tightly around the neck. Gajeel gently hugged her back. "I love you dad." She whispered, and his arms tightened around her. "I love you too kid. Now go on." Gajeel stood and pat her head before she left with Erza and Levy. "Come on partner. Lets go find the rain woman." He said to the exceed. Lily nodded and the two headed down a side hallway at the far end of the room.

The ran quickly down the hall, which slowly filled with steam. Gajeel grimaced, he could practically feel himself rusting. The emerged into a steam filled room that was full of the sounds of fighting. What magic power he could sense was low, they were both nearly tapped out he assumed. "Juvia!" He called, waiting for an answer. "Gajee--kyaa!" Juvia was cut off by a cry of pain and an eerie silence fell. "Juvia!" He called again, he was answered by silence. "Lily, you go that way. And watch out for the fire wench." Lily nodded, shifting into his larger form before moving away.

Gajeel carefully made his way through the steam, trying to sniff out either woman. With the intense heat in the room his nose burned, to the point he couldn't even smell Lily. He gritted his teeth, getting frustrated as the building shook again, this time mote violently. Damn Salamander. He mentally cursed. Gajeel felt a presence behind him, but he didn't attack as he was unsure who it was. He stopped and closed his eyes, listening closely, inhaling deeply. His eyes snapped open as he caught the smell of ash and embers, spinning on his heel. He was too late, however, as Embriora dashed forward.  He caught sight of the silver in her hand, a blade like word, just as it bit into his side.

{Just a few more chapters!}