Chapter 5

"You called us gramps?" Natsu asked as his team, plus Levy entered his office. Jellal and Meredy had already left after discussing details of the tower and possible plans. Gajeel sat in one of the chairs, his head hung down and his hands clamped together. Levy made her way to the dragon slayer and laid her hand on his shoulder. He flinched ever so slightly but he never looked up. "We have an urgent mission that is going to require all of you." Markarov said as he touched the lacrima that Jellal left behind. The image of the tower appeared, "Jellal has brought word of a dark guild building up the R System once again." They all tensed. "This tower, however,  will not be used to resurrect Zeref. Instead, it will resurrect the dragons in the graveyard in which it is built."

"That's crazy gramps!" Natsu said, slamming his hands on the desk. "Crazy or not, it's happening." The images began to change, showing pictures of child workers and their kidnappers as Markarov spoke. "The desert in which the tower is located is at our border far to the west of here. A three day travel if nothing goes wrong. Your mission is simple. Save the children, and destroy the tower." They all nodded as they continued to watch the images. The lacrima reached the end of its images, ending on a photo of the black haired teen, and Juvia couldn't surpress her gasp.

"Are you alright Juvia?" Lucy asked worriedly. Juvia didn't answer as she slowly sank to her knees beside Gajeel, her eyes bright with tears. "You two know her, don't you?" Erza asked as she stood in front of the two ex Phantom mages. Her team gave her strange looks, but she kept her eyes on the two before her. Juvia glanced at Gajeel and saw his hands shaking slightly, and she knew they had to tell them. "We do." She said at length.

"Who is she?" Levy asked quietly, her hand never leaving Gajeels arm. They were silent for a moment before Gajeel finally said his first words. "You'll never believe me..." He said quietly. "Try us metal head!" Natsu nearly shouted.  Juvia took a deep breath, "Her name is Avery Redfox." The room was deadly quiet, a pin could have been heard. "So, she's your little sister? " Natsu asked, almost hopefully. Gajeel couldn't blame him, sometimes he didn't believe it either. "No Natsu... She's my daughter," Gajeel said and he hated how his voice cracked.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Levy asked quietly, and he was afraid to look up at her. "She was taken away just before the war with Phantom Lord... Jose used her as a hostage to get me... To attack you." He looked at Levy with such an apologetic and sorrowful look it nearly tore her apart. "And he used her to get Juvia to kidnap Lucy." He added quietly. "How would your daughter be a bribe to Juvia?" Erza asked.

"Karyn, Averys mother.... Was Juvias sister." The rain woman choked out between quiet sobs. Gajeel gently gripped her shoulder. "But," "That's enough questions Natsu." Markarov said, to the relief of the ex Phantom mages. "You all need to get to this tower as quickly as possible. There are no more trains tonight, so you will be leaving first thing in the morning. If they feel up to it, Gajeel and Juvia can answer your questions on the train. Rest up." And with that, Markarov dismissed them. Erza gently helped Juvia to her feet and lead her to Fairy Hills, and the rest of team Natsu left.

Gajeel and Levy were left in Markarovs office. Levy looked over to the dragon slayer and a sad smile crossed her face. "Let's get you home Gajeel." She said gently. He didn't fight when she pulled him to his feet and lead him out the door, he barely noticed when Lily joined them. It wasn't until Levy had sat him on his couch and was about to leave that he snapped out of his thoughts. Gajeel gently gripped her wrist, pulling her to a stop. "Levy I... I'm sorry about what I did to you and your team." Levy looked down at him wide eyed, but he wouldn't meet her gaze.

"I never said it, and you forgave me anyway... I regret it every day. I just..." He seemed at a loss for words. Levy smiled softly and stepped forward, gently hugging his head to her. Gajeel tensed slightly,"You were protecting your child Gajeel. I don't hold that against you." She could feel him shake slightly. "but I failed..." She shook her head. "Jose played dirty, he tricked you. That's not your fault. We will get her back, and she will have a large family that will welcome her with open arms. Her father is gonna come like a dark knight go her rescue." He choked out a laugh. "That's cheesy shrimp..." she giggled softly. "It's works." He nodded slightly against her and wrapped his shakey arms around her waist, clinging to her like a lifeline.