Chapter 21

Avery was a ball of energy, bouncing around the small group with her at the train station. Gajeel was watching her with a slight smirk, Levy was giggling and Wendy was smiling. "A little excited are we?" Levy asked as Avery finally calmed down. "It's my first mission! Of course I am!" Avery squeeled, hugging her exceed egg closely. She refused to leave it behind. Gajeel chuckled as he placed a hand on her hesd, stilling her as she began to bounce around again. "You sure you don't need me to come along hatchling?" He asked, trying to conceal the worry in his voice. And failing. Avery grinned up at him, "Me and Wendy have this in the bag dad! Three days will be up before you know it! It's just an escort mission." She said brightly.

"But remember, it can turn dangerous in a moment." Levy said gently. "You have to be ready for anything. It's part of being a mage." Avery nodded and straightened. "I won't let you down!" She said proudly. Gajeel smiled, "You could never let me down."Avery grinned and hugged her dad as their train arrived. Gajeel and Levy waved from the platform as the girls boarded the train, and they stayed until the train was out of sight. The pair left the station in a comfortable silence, heading for the guild. Half way there Gajeel paused, scratching his head nervously. Levy turned, tilting her head, "What's wrong Gajeel?" If Levy didn't know any better, she would swear his face was tinted pink.

"Do you, um... Wanna grab lunch? With me?" He nearly stuttered out. Levy felt her face flame to life as she watched the fidgety dragon slayer. "You mean... Like a date?" She was positive his face was pink now, a bright neon pink at that. "I mean... If you don't want-" "I'd love to." Gajeel paused and looked up at the bluenette as she smiled brightly, though her face was still red. Gajeel grinned, "Come on then. I know a great little place," Gajeel reached out a gently grabbed her hand, tugging her along as he turned away from the guild. Levy smiled happily as she held on to Gajeels hand, allowing him to lead her away. Summer was drawing to a close, but the day was still warm and Magnolia was busy with travelers. Gajeel lead her off the beaten path, heading for a small building tucked away at the edge of town.

It was a small bar and grill, the inside was dark and cool yet welcoming at the same time. The smell of the grill had her stomach rumbling and Gajeel laughed, causing her to blush. They sat at a corner booth by a window, giving them a perfect view of the park. "Hey Gajeel, no Avery today?" A man asked as he approached, apron tied around his waist. "Nah, kids got her first mission today. Its a date today," his last statement made Levy blush brightly.

"She's mighty cute," the man said, sending the bluenette a wink. "What can I get you two?" They scanned the menus and ordered before the man, introducing himself as Sam, left. "So you and Avery eat here often?" Levy asked, resting her chin on her folded hands. "Yeah," Gajeel said with a grin. "I've known Sam since coming to Magnolia, cleared out some unsavories for him and we've been buds since. Avery adores him because he's always spoiling her," Gajeel said the last part loudly. "That little angel deserves it all!" A call came from the kitchen. Levy laughed, earning another grin from the dragon slayer.

There was a comfortable quiet, the only sound was Sam cooking in the kitchen. "Do you have any plans today?" Gajeel asked, keeping his eyes anywhere but her. "That depends on whos asking," Levy said with a small smirk. Gajeels answering smirk was a borderline grin, "I'm askin. Because I want to spend the rest of the day with you." Levys face was burning again. "Well I suppose I'm free," she said a bit nervously, twisting her napkin in her lap. "But... What's up with this all of a sudden?" It was Gajeels turn to turn shades of red. "The kid," he grumbled quietly. "Got me thinking. I've wanted to tell ya for awhile, but I've been focused on her. She says she wants me happy, and she sees how happy you make me." At this point, they both might as well be small raging infernos with how hot and red their faces were.

"What I'm trying to say," he continued. "Is I like ya shrimp. Have for a long time now. And, I was wondering if," he swallowed nervously, and Levy couldn't help but think how cute he was. He had begun to ramble, and Levy gently touched his hand to stop him. "Gajeel, I would love to go out with you." Gajeel blinked in surprise before flashing a bright smile, and Levy could see where Avery got it from. "While this is touching," they both turned, faces bright, to see Sam with their food. He grinned and Gajeel knew he wouldn't hear the end of it, "Lunch is served!"

{So this chapter is soooo much shorter than the others, but it was a bit necessary. The action starts up again in the next chapter!}