Chapter 22

Three days seemed to fly by for Gajeel, having spent them getting closer to Levy. The three now sat at the bar, the dragon slayer keeping his eye on the door as he waited for his daughter. "You know staring at the door isn't going to make her magically appear," Lily commented before chowing down on a kiwi. Gajeel grumbled without looking away. "I think it's cute," Levy said with a smile, earning a slight blush from Gajeel. "I'm not cute." He muttered. "Sure you are!" Mira said as she walked by, reaching over to pinch his cheek as she passed. "Woman!" he shouted, turning to her. The three laughed at the fuming slayer, before their attention was drawn to the guild doors being thrown open. "We're back!" Avery and Wendy shouted in unison. There was a small cheer as the teens walked in, Avery feeling like she was fifty feet tall. She caught sight of her dad at the bar who was grinning at her, and she sprinted towards him. Gajeel stood from his stool and caught her as she lept at him. "Good job kid." He said proudly, ruffling her hair.

Avery suddenly perked up and wiggled out of his arms, "Dad look!" as she opened her bag, Gajeel suddenly noticed her exceed egg was not wrapped to her back. She carefully held the bag open to reveal a sleeping exceed kitten. It's fur was such a light pink that it nearly looked white. "What's its name?" Levy asked as she peered around Gajeel. Avery grinned, "Carmin!" At the sound of her name, the little exceed stirred and peered up at them. "She's adorable!" Levy squeeled, earning a chuckle from Gajeel. Avery smiled as she pat the exceeds head, before lifting her out of the bag. There was a collective aw from those near by, while the Happy and Lily came to greet the newest exceed.

While everyone met her new partner, Avery finally had the chance to truly see her dad, and noticed the bluenette practically glued to his side. She narrowed her eyes as she stared at them, and Levy felt like it was movie night all over again as the girl studied them. Suddenly she squeeled and launched at them, hugging them both. "Finally!" There was a burst of laughter from everyone who had watched, Levy turning into a blushing and stuttering mess.

The master made his way down from his office, smiling up at the girl. "I received a message from your client Avery. He is very proud how you and Wendy handled things, and was impressed with your quick decision in a moment of danger. I am very proud young lady," he praised. Avery blushed brightly as she smiled shyly, scratching the back of her head. "Thanks master, but really it was all Wendy-" "No it wasn't!" Wendy piped up, appearing beside the girl. "You did great!" The girls went back and forth, trying to push praise on each other. Gajeel chuckled as he ruffled both of their hair. "Regardless, I'm proud of both of you." Both girls grinned before being pulled away by Lisanna.

"Gajeel," the master said gently. Gajeel looked down at the master, "May I speak with you for a moment?" Gajeel frowned but nodded, leaving Levy with his daughter before following the master upstairs. "What's this about master?" Gajeel asked as he closed the door behind him. The master was quiet as he sat on his desk, a deep frown on his face. "I received word from the counsel this morning... Both Ivan and Jose have broken out of prison." Gajeel felt his breath catch in his throat and his heart nearly stopped. "I'm not sure how," the master continued. "All I know is that there will be trouble. With what happened with Jose, he will be trouble. And Ivan... There's no telling what he will do. Especially since he knows now you were a double agent."

Gajeel, nodded, feeling like he was a hundred miles away. He knew they were all in danger, but only two people concerned him the most. One he had only just got back, after seven years of nothing. "I will be making an announcement, but I wanted to inform you first. You've had dealings with both men, and I know you and Avery will be targeted. By Jose at least." Gajeel nodded again, taking a deep breath to steady himself. "Thanks gramps, I appreciate it." Markarov nodded as he stood again, gently patting Gajeels arm as he passed by. "We will find them and put them away again. I promise Gajeel," Markarov said. Gajeel nodded with a slight smile. "Yeah."

Both men returned down stairs, Gajeel immediately finding his girls and sitting with them. "What did gramps want?" Avery asked as she played with a half asleep Carmin. Gajeel simply answered by pointing to the small master as he stood on the second floor railing, waiting patiently for everyones attention. "I have received some rather unsettling news this morning. The council has informed me that both Jose and Ivan have broken out of prison." A small uproar followed, several mages leaping from their seats. Gajeel felt the tiny form tense beside him at the mention of Jose's name, and he could smell the fear rolling off of her. He circled an arm around her, pulling her close to his side. "Never again," he rumbled, just loud enough for her to hear.

Avery nodded as she curled into his side, trying to make herself as small as possible. Levy gently rubbed her back while turning back to listen to the master. "No one will be allowed solo quests unless I have said otherwise. If you are to leave the guild please do so in pairs. If you are to encounter one of them please do not do so alone, retreat for help." The masters announcement was met with little protest, other than Natsus usual outburst. "Why don't you take Avery home?" Levy said gently, still rubbing the girls back. "You're coming to then." Gajeel said.

"Eh?" she squeeked, earning a giggle from Avery and Carmin. "No offense to your team, but I'm not letting you out of my sight. I wont let something precious be taken from me again." Levy looked at him with wide eyes, touched at his words. She smiled gently and nodded, "Alright. Let's go then."