0.28 | HOME

HOME

VALARIE'S PHONE PRACTICALLY BUZZED off the nightstand. She shot up, rolling over in her bed and grasping for it. She opened it and pressed it against her ear, eyes still shut as she barely could form a coherent word.

"Hello?" She asked groggily. She could practically feel the knots in her hair as she rubbed a hand down her face, eyes struggling to open and adjust to the light outdoors.

"Val! Good morning! Assuming I called you at the right time and it is morning." The Doctor's voice greeted, his smile practically visible through the phone. She yawned and scratched the back of her head and laid her head back down on the pillow, snuggling the blanket back up to her neck.

"You would be correct. You called me at eight in the morning."

"Oh, don't sound like that now. Come on, get on up. Martha and I will be there for you shortly, and oh boy do we have to tell you what happened. Have I ever warned you about the weeping-"

"You and Martha are supposed to be at my parents home for dinner tonight." She interrupted. A dip was felt in her bed as her parents cat, a fluffy one named Cleo, leaped onto her bed and made her way towards her. She settled down on her chest with a purr as Valarie stroked her back.

"Dinner? With you parents?" He asked.

"Well, my family, actually. My mum, dad, older brother and his wife, and my older sister and her wife. That's not even half of my family." She laughed, thankful she was able to convince her mother that her younger brothers had no place at this dinner nor did her grandparents, nieces, and nephews. "My mum wanted to take me out on town today, and wanted you and Martha to show up around six." The line fell silent. She worried for a second he would reject the proposition, or be annoyed at it. She chewed on her lip as she could hear faint whispering to Martha.

"We will be there." He replied with happiness in his voice. She smiled to herself and rolled back over, shrugging Cleo off of her chest and beginning to slip out of her bed.

"Alright. Do not be late."

"Are you seriously telling me, the guy with a time machine, to not be late?" She giggled, giving him a good-bye and hanging up. She laid the phone back down and looked at her feet. She wore a pair of purple socks. Slipping out of the bed, she scooped some clothes into her arms. She shuffled out in the hall and was shoved into a wall by her passing brothers. Chris and Peter wrestled with one another, one trying to a stick a saliva covered finger in the others ear. Matthew waited behind them as they took up the hall. He looked to his older sister.

"Morning." He sighed. For being younger, Matthew was tall and stocky. He was rather mature and a 'no-nonsense' type of person. Valarie smiled at him and ruffled his hair, a gesture she had done since he could toddle.

"Morning." She greeted. Upon hearing her voice Chris and Peter stopped fighting for a second, allowing Matthew to slip by as they both yelled out 'hey' to her. She gave a smile before disappearing into the bathroom. She locked the door and stripped out of her clothes and underwear. She turned the water on and gazed at her body in the mirror while she waited for the water to heat up. A bruise covered her left knee and the back of her right elbow, a band aid covering a scrape. Both bruises were large and ugly in color, but she knew they had looked a lot worse before. She had sustained them during her time in nineteen-thirteen. She winced as she poked it. She dropped her arm and climbed into the steaming hot shower, allowing the relief it brought to occupy her mind for a little bit.

--

The clock on the book shelf the television sat on read six o'five.

He is late, she silently thought to herself. How is a time traveler late?