0.47 | P.O.T.O

〖PLANET OF THE OOD

THE JOURNEY over the snow-covered hills felt like it went on for miles. They trudged in silence, still thinking about the body they left behind.

"So," Donna began, hands tucked under her arms to keep them warm. "What are they anyway? The oods?"

"They're servants of humanity in the forty-second century. Mildly telepathic. He called out to others while he was dying." The Doctor revealed.

"He sang." Valarie inputted. "He sang as he was dying." Her heart broke for him. She had faced death many times before with the Doctor, and it never occurred to her if she was in fact killed one day on some journey, what sound would she make? Would she scream? Would she go silently? Would she only breathe what air left she could breathe? Would she cry for her mother or her family?

Would she cry for him to be at her side?

She shook the thought and grounded her mind on the snowy planet she stood on again.

"His eyes turned red." The Doctor commented, the twinge of worry in his voice not going unnoticed by Valarie or Donna. Donna perked up at it.

"What does that mean?"

"Trouble. The Ood are harmless, they're completely benign. Except," he began sighing before continuing, "the last time I met them. There was this force, like a stronger mind, powerful enough to take them over." He revealed.

"What kind of force?" Valarie asked hands shoved in the pockets of the coat as her fingers curled for warmth. She looked up at him as they walked.

"Oh, long story."

"Long walk." She smiled. He looked back at her, and with a smile that read 'you won't believe me', answered her.

"It was the devil."

Valarie opened her mouth as to speak, eyes wide as she nodded. She looked back at her shoes stomping through the snow and shook her head. All this time and she still was surprised by half the things coming out of his mouth - maybe that's part of why she loved him so. He always kept her on her toes with some new story.

"Right, that would be a long story." He chuckled and nudged her with his elbow before pointing a finger towards a structure over a hill; some sort of a compound.

"Look there. Glorious civilization."

"Glorious warmth is all I'm hearing." She snickered through chattering teeth. Her nose was red, and the cold sharp wind turned her cheeks red as well as blood within her rushed to keep her exposed skin warm. The Doctor in looking at her also noticed how red the tips of her ears were. He then ushered them over the hill and towards the compound as what seemed to be a group of human tourists assembled. A small woman stood in the front of the group, calling out to them to receive their vouchers. They scampered through, narrowly avoiding the guard's watchful eyes as they wedged their way to the group.

For a second Valarie stood back, hiding around a corner as they carried on to watch what seemed to be a group of Ood being ushered by armed guards. They seemed to be shoved and prodded and being treated like cattle. She watched with a deep fixation on the Oods faces and the faces of the guards.

Ahead the Doctor and Donna caught up.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry! Late. Don't mind us. Hello! The guards let us through." The Doctor introduced.

"And you would be?" The woman, Solana, asked.

"The Doctor and Donna Noble, and..." he turned his head, suddenly realizing he had lost sight of Valarie in the move.

"Representing Noble Corporation PLC, limited. Intergalactic." Donna spat out as he extended the psychic paper. He smiled at her, almost silently begging her to stop adding words to the already every changing paper. The Doctor then stood high on his toes to see her head face back behind the crowd, still peeking behind the corner. When her eyes finally caught him he motioned for her to join them and fast - like a parent mouthing to their child to just please hurry.

"Must have fallen off my list, my apologies. Now then, Dr. Noble and Mrs. Noble, if you'd like to come with me." Solana's statement garnered a reaction from the two. His head whipped around to her.

"No, no, no, no. We're not married."

"We're so not married." Donna tacked one.

"Never." The Doctor announced. Solana looked taken back at their insistence. When Valarie wiggled through the crowd she raised an eyebrow that did not go unseen by the Doctor. "This is Valarie Scott. Got separated from us but she is with Donna and me as well."

She smiled sweetly at Solana. Her arms snaked around his right one and her head laid against his shoulder - partially because Valarie had found Time Lords were like walking, talking, breathing space heaters. Her ears felt like they were ice cubes, and his warmth through his jacket was just what they needed. Well, her whole body needed that warmth from his but just her ear could settle for now. Solana nodded.

"I understand now. Here is your information packet, Ms.Noble." She turned to him and extended two. "Dr. Scott and Mrs. Scott, yours."

Valarie looked to him with a pursed smile, expecting his correction. He only laughed partially as if explaining now was mute, especially with how she clung to him, so he let the error pass. If he was called it again, he would correct her.

"Now, if you all would follow me the executive suites are nice and warm-" As she lead them inside an alarm sounded. Everyone paused and watched.

"A siren? What is that about?" The Doctor asked.

"It's uh," Solana hesitated. "just an end-of-work shift bell. Go on in now."

Valarie noted her hesitance and faux smile as she suddenly seemed desperate to push them in. She swallowed harshly and returned the smile to her as to play along. She felt like something was wrong here, deeply. If the one they found out there was from here, what had happened? What caused those red eyes?

And why did they have to shoot it?

-----

A really short chapter while I wrap up the semester. Sorry for the hiatus, but with the break I should be in the groove of writing again. Also found a place to stream Doctor Who finally so won't have to write these chapters based on three-minute youtube clip-by-clip plays of the episodes! It's really sparked my love for the show again. May have some other doctor who stories unrelated to Oddity in the close future because I remember how much I love the show again and just loving David Tennant's run in general! :)

Have a good evening/day!