0.50 | T.G.E.F

THE GREEN EYED FAMILY

NANCY WOKE WITH the sun pressing warmth against her face. She stirred under her linen sheets, arms shifting to above her head as she stretched towards the headboard. She felt so calm in her core - so at peace.

"Nancy dear, you need to get up!" Her mother's chipper voice called in the open door frame, her red painted lips in the same smile as always.

"Yes mother." She replied like she did every single morning. She slide out from the sheets - bare tired touching the carpeted floor as the bed groaned with her weight rising off of it. Her short frame basked in the morning sun some more as she stretched her arms in her nightgown. She loved the feeling.

Then she felt it again. Like eyes were on her. She walked to the window, glancing around quickly as she felt the hairs on her neck raise. The longer she stood there the more uneasy she felt, so she simply closed her blinds and sealed the curtains. It was quite sad, as Nancy loved the morning sun.

She turned away, shaking her head and sighing. She had felt eyes on her for days now, but mother had told her not to fret and to simply seal everything if she felt them again. Ignore them.

Nancy then approached her dresser, opening drawers to rummage for clothing. She started in her underwear drawer, grabbing a pair and a pair of white-frill lined socks. She set them into as she opened another, and drew out of it a cream cable knit sweater. It was awfully cold this time of year. Then she drew the skirt - it was a long, with a red and green plaid design. She tossed those onto her bed as well.

Now which drawer did she keep her accessories? Nancy always had a hard time remembering. She reached for her bottom left drawer, sliding it open. Inside sat a pair of denim pants, not a kind for a lady, and a blue cardigan dropped over it. Red shoes, that looked as if they came high up. They bore the brand logo Converse All Star on the side, but converse simply didn't make shoes like this. She frowned. She didn't remember owning anything this strange.

Then she felt the push. Her hands moved before her mind could and slammed the drawer shut. They forced over to the next drawer that opened to reveal loose hair ribbons and headbands. She smiled, and rummaged for a moment before drawing out her red ribbon.

Nancy got dressed for the day, smoothing the fabric of the skirt in the mirror. It was more form-fitting and closer to a pencil skirt in fit, but dropped right below her knees. She tied her hair into a ponytail, with the big red now on it. She smiled, red lipstick and mascara on and feeling ready for the day with her family. She looked to her face. Strands of light brown hair framed her face, and jade eyes twinkled.

She walked downstairs of the home into the living room, her father sitting at the table with the pipe hanging from his lips. The calendar sat behind his head. September 1963.

At the counter, her mother stood preparing breakfast. Blueberry pancakes, as they had every Wednesday.

"Nancy dear, can you go get the paper? I heard that boy come by earlier." Her father asked, jade eyes turning to her. He smiled sweetly as he always did. Nancy felt compelled to hug him, which she did tightly.

"Yes, father." She smiled. She walked by Norman, her twelve year old brother, who watched television in the family room. He had been fascinated with the thing. She opened the front door and stepped out. At the end of the townhomes pathway sat the paper on the somewhat damp morning concrete. She sighed, agitated she had to venture somewhat far from the door to retrieve it. She didn't like going out far alone. She liked to travel with mother or father.

Her black Mary Jane shoes shining the light. She bent down, careful to do more of a crouch, to grab the rolled up paper. When she stood, she was startled by someone standing over her. She jumped, eyes wide.