0.19 | L.E

THE LAZARUS EXPERIMENT

THE ONLY PHYSICAL REACTION Valarie could evoke - apart from screaming - was to clasp her hand over her mouth out of sheer shock. She remained that way as Richard began to take pictures with his still elderly wife, a smile stretched across his now young face.

    "It must be a trick." Martha whispered to her. "They can't be the same person." Valarie felt almost appalled staring at him. The man before her had done nothing that was impossible, yet had raised so many questions in Valarie's mind.

    "What's he done?" She asked silently. She did not like the idea that some eccentric billionaire was now playing God - rendering himself virtually immortal with no consequences.

    "He's changed what it means to be human." The Doctor replied. Concern spread over his face like a translucent mask, his eyebrows knitted and a frown on his lips. Valarie shook her head, stepping away from the two. "I need a drink she grumbled."

        She silently slipped between formally dressed bodies, eyeing the counter where drinks where being sold. She leaned on it, bouncing her knee as she quietly pointed at a champagne bottle behind the counter. She watched the bar tender swiftly pour the glass and hand it to her. Valarie did not hesitate to raise it to her lips. She turned away from the counter, looking back at Richard.

     She continuously tried to wrap her mind around what had happened to him in that chamber; his awful screams were burned into her memory. But he stood there now, seemingly healthy and youthful as he spoke gleefully to his wife.

     With a sudden movement, his craned his neck upwards, teeth barring as his shoulders and neck seemingly popped violently. He grunted, turning his head to a waiter walking by a snatched the tray off his hands. He proceeded to stuff his mouth swiftly with the food on the tray. Valarie's confusion swiftly moved to concern that his youthful transformation seemed to have gone with consequences. She set the champagne glass down and moved through the crowd again, not taking her eyes off of Richard. She gripped one side of her black dress tightly, heels clacking on the floor as she hurried her way across the room.

   She slowly stopped in her tracks as she saw the Doctor move in on Richard, having seen the same thing she had. She moved towards his back, coming into his conversation with him.

   "Energy deficit. Comes with the process." He quickly explained to him.

   "You talk as if you see this everyday sir."

    "Doctor, actually. And oh, well, not everyday but I have some experience with this sort of, transformation." Richard cracked a smug grin.

    "There's no way."

     "Using hypersonic sound waves to create a sort of resonance, but that's expired!" He scrunched his face up, impressing Richard.

     "You understand the theory then." His face was flat, obviously not happy that someone who could know more then him maybe in the room.

     "There's no way you could've allowed for any variant."

    "That experiment was worth any risk."

    "That thing could've exploded." The Doctor was flabbergasted by Richards blatant disregard for the safety of everyone else in the room. His selfishness was evident by the bored look in his eyes as he sucked crumbs of food off his thumb. "You might as well have stepped into a blender."