"Nothing. Never mind."

"You're thinking of turning her."

"What? Turning my mother? No! No way! This thing, being a vampire, is a curse! And yet, you've said it yourself: I've been able to do things I'd never even have dreamed of before, like continuing my education and going for my PhD, or saving the world, or ending a human trafficking ring, or taking on one of the most dangerous narcoterrorists in the world, or getting married again, to the most wonderful and beautiful woman I've ever known. So, maybe it's not such a curse, Larry!"

"Maybe it hasn't been for you. But what of all those other vampires? Scott, people don't need salvation if they're doing great. They need salvation because they carry a curse. That's why they look to you, Scott, because you're different."

"Whoa there, Larry, let's not get into that whole 'vampiric messiah' thing again. I'm no messiah, Larry. Personally, if you're looking to me for salvation, you must be pretty screwed."

"Guess what? Vampires are pretty screwed, Scott."

"Yeah, I suppose so. I only wish I could have saved Naomi."

"Ah, you mean that scary kid I met the other night? What happened with that?"

"Long story short, I killed her. I killed her, Larry. I had to, to save Father's life."

"And you feel bad about it."

"Yeah. Wouldn't you?"

"You've never felt bad about killing any other vampire before."

"This is different. For one, the timing couldn't be worse, with Dawn and I discussing children, and Naomi was a child. A hundred-year-old evil child, but still! Dawn thought she was beginning to bond with Naomi. You can't bond with the Black-eyed Kids, as they're completely evil. I tried to warn Dawn, but she went ahead. I sort of let my guard down, too, I guess. I can't blame Dawn. I was afraid, after I did what I had to do, that she'd hate me."

"Does she, Scott? Does she hate you?"

"No. We've talked about it, and we're both on the same page. I should feel relieved, and I should move on, but I can't. I don't think she can, either, even if she's the toughest woman I know, second to my mom."

"You've got a lot on your plate. A lot to chew on, as it were."

"Not a good time to mention food to me, Larry."

"Sorry, I know that's still a touchy subject with you. Scott, let me ask you something. Put aside all your fears and doubts, and answer me this: do you want kids?"

"Yeah, Larry, I do. I really do."

"There is one of your answers."

"It's not that simple, Larry."

"I know it isn't. It never is. It never can be. Let go of your fear, Scott. Man, I can't believe I'm telling a vampire not to be afraid. I mean, I'm supposed to be afraid of you!"

"Yeah, well, I am the terror that walks by night, so, there's that."

"And there's the old Scott Campbell sense of humor. I like seeing that. It's a good sign."

*

Dawn was not really in the mood for much of anything that morning as she arrived at the studio of KLEW TV. She shuffled in to the bullpen, carrying a cup of the most powerful coffee she could find. She passed by Xenia, who seemed too busy yelling at someone else to take notice of her, and wandered to her desk. Much to her delighted surprise, she saw that her inbox was full of files! She sat down at her desk and started opening some of those files.