"You never show your enemy that you are scared, especially when you know they will win. Go out with honor. Go out with dignity. Do not show them you are pitiable in your last breathes, no matter what battle you are in."

Her voice sounds like a strange language in my mind. I let them wash over me, my lips pressed into a confused line.

She didn't blame me... for losing?

"You're okay with me failing?" I ask, still uncertain if I interpreted her words right.

"You did your best, Ikari." Her unblinking eyes fix onto my bandaged hands. "There was nothing else you could do. Do not beat yourself up."

Even though the room is cold, a warmth spreads in my chest. Her words were anything but endearing, but I want to jump into her arms.

Thank you, I want to say. But saying is not enough.

"Alessia," I say, and for a moment tears prickle at my eyes. "I promise that I'll win next time," I whisper, my throat closing up. "I promise."

Alessia gives me a small smile. She's never smiled at me before, and her blue eyes seem soft and comfortable.

"I'm sure you will."

When I look outside, the sky unfurls with dark clouds. Thunder rumbles.

But strangely, I am at peace.

Don't let me go.

POV—Todoroki Shoto

"Uh, Midoriya? I have a question to ask."

After I had left Nichi, I didn't know what else to do. I have so many things I need to do, but Ikari's voice refuses to leave my head. Something is clashing in me, and I don't know what it is.

"What is it, Todoroki?"

I hold the phone in my hand, unsure of how to go about this.

"I might be sick."

Just admitting it makes my head spin. Every time I envision apologizing to Ikari, I can't seem to choose the right words. Sometimes I can't even conjure up words. Something always presses at my throat, something that always stops me from properly apologizing. I'm always distracted by the strand of hair hanging above her eye, or the way the silver speckles her pupils.

"You what? What kind of sickness?" Midoriya asks. "Do you have a cold or a fever? But wait... how would that work with your Quirk? Can you get a cold or a fever? Would your other side just cool it down for you—"

"Midoriya," I say, keeping him back on track. "It's not a regular sickness."

"What are the symptoms, then?" He asks, his inquisitorial voice evident through the phone.

"Well... my head becomes really hot, and so does my face. And my heart pumps really fast sometimes, especially when I'm around Ikari—"

"Around Ikari?" He laughs.

"Why are you laughing?"

Midoriya chuckles again. "Todoroki! You've got it all wrong! You're not sick— you like Hebinoya!"

I furrow my brows. Like her? Romantically?

"I... what?"

"You have romantic feelings for her. It's really not that complicated. You like her."

Now that I think about it... even a mention of her name makes my heart jump.

"I... I don't know. But I know I need to apologize. I did something I wasn't supposed to do, and I need to tell her I'm sorry."