Black Eyes

Credit for art: かじの

"And if you ever ask me again, I'll make sure I'll give you a black eye just like mine." — Ikari Hebinoya

*warning: slight language and slight violence

POV – Hebinoya Ikari

Black Eyes

Don't let me go.

I suppose it cannot be helped that people judge others.

It's human nature. People judge others by their looks, their appearance.

For me, it's a lot worse. People judge me because I am Razor's daughter.

They never register anything else.

And I'm tired of it.

Don't let me go.

At the end of class, just as students trail out of the classroom, I tap Midoriya on the shoulder. He yelps in surprise.

"Y-yes, Hebinoya?"

"I would like to go through some paperwork since you are class rep. Are you available for a few minutes?"

"O-of course! Let's do it now!"

We set up our paperwork and go through each one of them. We work fast, flipping through papers and filling in any information that needed to be filled. We run through some basic duties we will have to take up, and some other points that we will need to discuss after lunch. Our cooperation and diligence makes us go through the paperwork rapidly, even though Midoriya bumbles the whole way.

After a few more minutes of work, we take a break. The room is filled with strange silence as I stretch back, my back stressed from all the hunching over I've had to do. Midoriya breaks the silence.

"Uh, Hebinoya-san... when I first came here I thought you were really scary, and I still kinda think you are." His voice is high and shaky and he fumbles with his words, but I still nod for him to continue. "...but once I got to spend some time with you I think you're very diligent and orderly. I don't think people should avoid you just because you're related to Razor. Many people have the wrong idea about you."

I pause, my mind racking up different responses. I don't want to come off as rude or scary, so I take a few seconds to process his words. I finally land with,

"You really think that?"

Midoriya gives me a small, adorable smile, nodding enthusiastically towards me. I sit in shock for a few seconds, my mind slowly moving like a snail. Based on his body language, I am assuming that what he just said was true. He truly believes that I am good.

"Thank you." I say, my lips barely even moving. I am mildly surprised by his compliment, but I appreciate it either way. He's willing to believe that everyone has good inside of them. Although it is a great power, it can also be his weakness.

"Hebinoya, would you like to be friends?"

The next words uttered took me by complete surprise. I give him a strange stare, as if he is pranking me, but he only gives me a smile.

This can't be happening.

I almost want to say yes. The word is at the tip of my mouth, and it is about to slip out before I shove it back in and deep into my stomach.

I made this mistake once before.

I won't let it happen again.

"I'm sorry, Midoriya." His face begins to drop, but I shift uncomfortably and continue. "But I cannot take up your request. You must understand that it is not your qualities that I do not like, but my own. I am here to become a hero... not to make friends. I offer you my sincerest apologies."