Awards

"Why... did I give up?"-- Hebinoya Ikari

 did I give up?"-- Hebinoya Ikari

*warning: swears, violence

POV—Hebinoya Ikari

Awards

Don't let me go.

Many people— scientists, philosophers, politicians, have tried to dissect my father's motives for doing such horrors. I can tell you one thing right now:

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

And my father is one of them.

I'm convinced that he was born without a conscience—

even without emotions, perhaps.

He wanted to see people in pain, and he did just that.

Don't let me go.

I don't know what to do.

Something has been released in me, and I don't know how to control it.

I need to isolate myself. I need to stop myself from feeling this way.

I don't join the other students in watching the finals. I stay in the bathrooms.

I crouch into a squat in the cubicle, putting my head between my knees. Something is missing. Something is very wrong with me. It's rising, it's coming to get me. With the last of my resolve, I push it down. The strings stretched inside me is at the last of its threads, and it's pulling taut.

It's about to snap.

I only look up when the loudspeakers say,

"Hebinoya Ikari, please come to the stadiums. Hebinoya Ikari, please come to the stadiums for your award."

Award? What award?

Didn't I lose?

I debate if I should go or not. If I go, I don't know if I will lose control. If I don't, they'll just force me there. With a dejected sigh, I force myself up and head to the stadium. Everything seems so strange and alien to me. All my colleagues' faces, they are all blurs. My hearing spots in and out, in and out.

When I enter the stadium once more, the cheers seem nauseatingly loud. I want nothing more but to get out of here.

Get out, get out.

"Everyone, please prepare for your winners!" Midnight shouts.

Puffs of smoke erupt in front of me. Confetti splashes through the air. Fireworks whizz through the sky and the crowd cheers on and on.

Why am I here?

When I look to my left, I find Bakugou in chains. He struggles against them, his eyes glowing with fury. Isn't he happy? Isn't he glad he got first place?