Entrance Exams

POV – Hebinoya Ikari
Entrance Exams

Don't let me go.

"There is no such thing as luck."

That's the first thing Father taught me.

Was Shojiro unlucky for being shot?

Was Mother unlucky for overdosing?

Or am I unlucky to live through all of that?

Don't let me go.

So this is the great UA Academy, huh?

Hah.

I expected more.

I tut and stare up at the large, Parthenon-like building, like I am sizing it up. I thought it would be more glamorous. If I had told my past self that I would be standing in front of UA to take the entrance exams, to sincerely become a hero, she would have laughed and spat in my face. Even I can hardly believe myself for doing this— as I think of this, Shojiro's voice echoes in my head.

I'll become a hero, and I'll protect you!

If only that had come true.

I take a long, deep breath of the fresh morning air. The thoughts in my head drown out the chattering of students around me. My thoughts constantly move, whirring, echoing in my ever-turbulent mind. It works faster than usual— and, as hard as it is for me to admit— it's probably from my nerves. I frown, furrowing my eyebrows, searching for something to distract myself with.

This will make a nice picture.

The light hits on the magnificent, marble-clad building perfectly. It almost shimmers in the early morning sun. For a moment, I appreciate UA's keen eye for architecture— even though it is more simple than I thought.

I search for anything else to dwell on, but thoughts of the entrance exam wriggles itself into my mind. I sigh, frustrated. Distracting myself is not my strongest suit.

I long for my camera in my hands. As I look down, wishing for the smooth surface of the camera in my hands, I find them shaking. I have not felt nervous in a long time, and the strange feeling consumes me. The pounding of my heart amplifies.

This isn't going to stop me from getting what I want. I let the fear slowly leak out of me— at least, I pretend to. I replace it with determination.

Finally, I will do what Father never wanted me to.

It feels good to defy Father, even if he is dead. Candidates surround me— some bursting with energy, and others clearly nervous for the upcoming test. I use my fingers to trace an outline of a heart on my palm. Shojiro did that do me a lot when we were younger. I rub, again and again, until my shallow breathes become deep again.

A yelp of surprise snaps me out of my calmness. I turn, about to find out whoever is making such a big fuss on the first day. The voice comes from a green-haired boy, floating in the air. He struggles awkwardly, his legs flailing uselessly in the air as he tries to regain his balance. A girl stands beside him, confused at his panic.

The girl must have some kind of gravity-defying Quirk. Perhaps it has to be triggered by something... touch, sound, voice—

You shouldn't be thinking about this right now.

As the girl lets the boy down, allowing him to drop to the ground, he begins to sheepishly apologize.

"I, uh, sorry—"