37. Cinderella Backwards

I'd always been the couch potato type when it came to New Year's Eve. As long as I had enough snacks, drinks, blankets, and movies, I was all set. But this time I agreed to go to Bailey's because Lea was here, just like an old time.

"I told you Susie was suss," she said after I filled her in on what happened on Christmas Eve during our taxi ride to the bar. "But it's good that she didn't pull any dramas when you came to see Dean's dad."

"She wouldn't dare, I think." My mind jumped to the night when I had a quick visit to Parker's home after Dean came to see me. Susie was just being Susie: charming, elegant, and sweet. Only, she was way too territorial to Dean this time.

When the taxi stopped at the stoplight, Lea applied the crimson lipstick that we'd agreed to wear tonight. At least I finally had a legit reason to wear the color on my lips.

"Listen, we're going to forget about da bitch and have fun tonight. We need to find a guy to snog for the countdown, and I want to get laid afterward. Man, those back-to-back classes and work schedules made me forget to pamper my pussy," Lea whined, followed by a strangled cough from the driver.

Once we entered the city, we tidied up and threw our makeup kits back into our bags. It was when I realized I couldn't find my phone anywhere.

"Shit, I left my phone home."

"Oh, no. What now?"

I shrugged. "Too late to go back, we're almost there."

"Yeah. You can always use mine if you want to call your mom or dad."

"Okay."

It was not even eight yet but the traffic was already that bad, and the sidewalks were full of people. No matter how cold it was, as long as it didn't rain or snow heavily, nothing could stop people from enjoying New Year's Eve outdoors.

"l think walking is faster from this point," Lea grumbled and I agreed.

After ten minutes of zigzagging along the busy sidewalks, we finally saw Bailey's sign blinking in red neon light. A wave of memory from six months ago rushed through my head, creating a tight knot in my belly. I hugged my coat tighter around my torso while telling myself that it was history now.

The bar wasn't that busy yet, but the effort they put into the live music stage and the spacious dance floor promised a great time ahead for everyone tonight. The Christmas ornaments still dangled at every corner of the room, with a gigantic analog clock in a gold frame hanging on the wall.

The Bailey's people cramped up in a U-shape sofa that was situated in the middle of the bar. Lea squealed as she spotted them. Josh squeezed Lea into a bear hug before introducing her to his date. Next to him, Dianne and other Bailey's girls who weren't on duty, also took their turn to hug Lea. My eyes darted to the other end of the sofa, where Brad sat comfortably with a brunette in his arms. He smiled and waved at me before Lea threw herself at him.

After ordering our drinks, we then dove into a huge gossip around Bailey's world. Many things had happened in the bar since Lea left. The juiciest news was about their former manager, Gal, who turned out to be a fraudster. He was asked to leave the team immediately after signing an agreement. It was considered lucky that the management didn't send him straight to jail. The upside of the unfortunate event was Brad being promoted to the assistant manager position.

"Good riddance! And congrats, Brad. I'm sure you will make a good manager one day." I lifted my cocktail at him before taking a sip.

"Thank you."

When the first band started their performance, the girls, who were a bit buzzed already, squealed and ran to the dance floor.

Dianne poked my shoulder. "Let's go!"