47. Surrender

Sunday passed by with a dull feeling in my chest and it was too stubborn to leave me.

Mom had been nervous with her preparation for a big presentation tomorrow, and I was supposed to join her in the living room, preparing for my final test, but my brain refused to function. Seeing that there was no point in trying, I picked one of her novel collections before heading to my balcony. Maybe a little distraction helped.

Blake texted on Sunday night, telling me he was home but I didn't know what to say to him. I was still pissed, not just at him, but also at myself. I didn't know how everything became this messy. If he gave me more information about the meeting, I wouldn't have misunderstood him. If I didn't accuse him of lying, he probably wouldn't have snapped. If he didn't bring up Dean to justify himself, I would've tried to see his points. But alas, none of these happened.

I shouldn't have swallowed Ashley's words without checking with Blake. Instead, I let it get into me and allowed my anger to speak for me. Jealousy had an ugly face, no doubt about that. I wish I didn't let the alcohol take over.

I left my mom's apartment on Monday morning, ready to start my week. Dean gave me a lift since he also had to drive to campus for his early class.

"Do you feel better?" he asked as he stopped in my driveway. It was his first attempt to start a proper talk after I hopped on his jeep. Dean was never a morning person.

"Yeah."

"So, everything is good with the lover teacher now?"

"Um, we haven't talked again, but I will need to worry about my presentation now." I picked up my bags from the car floor, not in the mood of talking further about my problem. I opened the passenger door and turned my head to him, "Thanks for driving me back, Dean."

"No worries." He ran his fingers through his hair before rubbing the back of his neck. "Call me when you need a lift."

"Okay."

I was glad that it was my last day assisting the laboratory class

I was glad that it was my last day assisting the laboratory class. Now I could fully focus on my final test and what would come afterward.

Dean popped up at my laboratory door to offer me a lift. It had become our little routine since I was car-less. He stayed back a bit after his last class on Wednesdays, then we left campus together once I was done with the laboratory around forty minutes later.

"Two days to go before the final presentation, hé? How nervous are you now from one to ten?"

I rolled my eyes as I opened the equipment room. "Don't remind me, please."

"I don't need to. It's always lurking over every corner of your mind anyway."

"Shut up or get out," I shouted from inside the room, making Dean cackle with satisfaction, but then his laughter died down abruptly.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, his voice rigid.

"I need to speak with Jennifer."

I froze. That voice.