Chapter 67- A Paradox of Two

Start from the beginning

"Question, what did you hear from Holland again?" I ask as I shoot her a calm look.

"That you're moving to Amsterdam?"

"Oh! Right! That's it! That I'm moving to Amsterdam. I never said that I was leaving you."

"But aren't you?" Christine shouts. "You're leaving your kingdom! You're leaving you're people! You're leaving, period!"

"So phones don't exist?" I ask.

"Yes but,"

"And the lycans don't have nomadic tendencies, in which you move from place to place every few years?"

"Yes but,"

"Let's also remember that for me to be doing the lycans a disservice in any kind of way, I would have to have been formally announced as your queen, right?"

Christine fell silent I leaned back in my seat staring back at her.

"You're selfish." She seethed.

"Okay." I sighed nonchalantly and turned my attention back to my laptop.

"You don't hear me! You're selfish! You're choosing yourself over your kingdom!"

"I'm not your queen though."

"But you are!"

"Christine." I breathe out as I sit up, my hands locking together as I look up at her. "What is this really about?"

Her lips clamp shut.

"Because I know damn well, you didn't come to my home to fuss and whine and bitch about how you think I'm selfish because let's get one thing straight; I've never, and I mean never promised you anything. And don't give me that bullshit about what other she wolves would have done in my position because let's be really fucking honest," I stand from the couch, reminding Christine of the person she met. "I've never been raised with their values. Therefore I don't think like they do."

"Any she wolf would kill to be queen!" Christine snaps.

"I'd kill just to have a decent night of sleep!" I fire back. "What does that tell you?"

A long moment of silence crosses between us before Christine gives a sigh of defeat. Her eyes no longer holding anger but exhaustion. The centuries that hid behind her eyes suddenly came the surface.

Without saying anything she threw her body onto my couch. Slouching in her tight pencil skirt and floral blouse. She kicked off her heels as I sat back down.

"It tells me you don't care."

"Damn it Christine. It's not that I don't care..." I say as I turn to face her.

"No." Her voice suddenly tight with tears. I pause in confusion as I look to her. "You don't care, like these other wolves do. You have everything being presented to you, a loving mate, a kingdom filled with people that are ready to adore you, riches and wealth, but you don't want that." She sits up looking right at me. An angry sort of confusion in her expression. "Why?" She asks.

"Because," I shrug. "To me...it doesn't matter how much of something you have, if it's not making you happy it's pointless."

"And that's why I fear you." Christine says as she sniffles. Her eyes level with mine as my brows knit together.

"Okay, that's weird." I say laughing. "You're Lycan. You don't have much to be afraid of."

"The first time I met you in that library, you terrified me." She says firmly which made me shut up. "You were intense and intimidating. You talked and acting like a person with nothing to loose. Do you understand how horrifying that is? I never, not once, thought I'd shake in fear of a wolf, then there was you."