"More drinks?" Daniel asks as everyone raises their glasses to show Daniel that they all need a top up.

Once Daniel is out of the room the security system alerts us that a vehicle is approaching the gates. Daniel fluidly pops his head around to look at the screen on the wall before whoever it is has pressed the buzzer. "You have got to be kidding me." He mutters, shaking his head. The content look that has been on his face all day disappears without trace, a deep scowl left in its place. He doesn't glance at anyone in the room as he returns to the kitchen.

"Mom, will you take Grace?" I ask, standing up. The warmth inside of me feels like it has been splashed with freezing water. Who could it be?

The sudden silence in the room that has been full of conversation all day is deafening.

"Of course." She tries to smile like she does not have a care in world, but she looks as worried as I feel.

"Be back in a second." I say as reassuringly as I can before I jog after Daniel. Shit!

The second I step into the kitchen the buzzer for the gate rings. Daniel is leaning against the worktop with his head in his hands. "My mother and Curtis are here." He mumbles. "What shall I do? We haven't seen her in weeks."

"You said you called to tell her about the twins. Did you call?" I ask, but know he did make the call.

"I tried, but Curtis answered. My mother was playing tennis at the time. So, I just told him." He shrugs.

The buzzer echoes through the house again.

"I'm going to tell her she's not welcome here." Daniel reaches for the screen, but I rest my hand across his before he presses the button.

"Daniel. I think you should let her in, it's Christmas Day-"

"Exactly, Lizzie. She will try and ruin it!" He snaps.

"I will not let her ruin the twins first Christmas. I promise that if she starts any form of argument, I will throw her out myself." I smile, and decide to try and lighten the atmosphere. "Or I could just send my Mom and Sarah out to vet what she has to say?"

His eyes flick up and thankfully he returns my smile. "You really think I should let her in?"

I nod. "I really do. The fact that she has driven all the way from London on Christmas Day suggests she's not here to cause an argument." I put my arms around him, and he cuddles me tightly. "She's your mom, and I'm sure she wants to meet her grandchildren."

God, I hope I'm right.

Without saying a word, Daniel simply presses the button to open the gate. He sighs loudly into my hair then kisses my temple. "Let's hope you're right."

While Daniel walks towards the front door, I turn into our living room. "Madison is here." I inform our guests. "I'm just going to close the door." I don't wait for any derogatory comments, swiftly pulling the door to a close.

Daniel hesitates at the front door, so I step forward to open it. I plaster a false smile on my face, feeling Daniel's fingers intertwine with mine as he stands next to me. Curtis opens the passenger door for Madison. He is dressed in a full black three piece suit with a Christmas tree bow tie that I imagine Madison must hate. She steps out of the car, dressed in a floor length red fitted dress covered in a black velvet coat. Her hair is curled immaculately, causing me to self consciously run my fingers through my wayward hair. As I'm already dressed in the new button front tartan pyjamas my parents bought for me, Madison and I literally look like polar opposites. As if sensing my sudden awareness of my appearance, Daniel squeezes my hand softly.