He shrugs and grins at her. "I've got to make sure none of the crazies get to you before you can make it to your apartment, right?"

"Oh, right," she says with a shaky smile.

They walk in an easy, comfortable silence until they reach her apartment door. Her keys are already in hand so it only takes her a few seconds to open the door. She turns to him with a shy smile. "Uh, thanks, Ricky, for having me over."

"Thanks for being my fake girlfriend," he shoots back with a dirty grin.

Nini's smile disappears and she gives a groan of aggravation. "You're still the worst," she mumbles with a roll of her eyes as she steps into her apartment.

"Have a good night, Nini," he chuckles softly before she can fully shut the door.

The sound of his voice causes her to stop and she looks up at him through the small crack from her door and the doorway. "Night, Ricky," she says quietly with a small smile before shutting the door all the way.

******

"And Nini, don't forget to—"

"Got it."

"But seriously, it's—"

"Almost done with it, anyway."

"What about the—?"

"Sent it off yesterday before I left."

"Am I forgetting—?"

"Only a hug from the best daughter in the world before you leave for your trip," Nini interrupts casually as she walks up to her mom. Her arms are opened wide and there's a sincere smile on her lips.

Carol finally seems to relax as she opens up her arms to wrap around her daughter. "I'll miss you," she murmurs, kissing her on the temple.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drop you and momma D off at the airport?" she sighs sadly.

"No, honey. We're just gonna Uber it. It's a quick trip so it won't be that expensive. Plus, I don't want you waking up at 4am on Christmas Eve!" Momma C told her.

Nini pulls back a bit and grins up at her. "Have a safe trip and have a bunch of fun, okay?"

"I'll bring you back something cool," he chuckles as she lets go. walks back to the office and grabs her stuff before heading out the door- not without stopping and looking back at Nini with concern in her eyes.

Nini looks at him with furrowed brows. "What...?" she asks uneasily.

"I know you're spending Christmas alone and—"

Her jaw drops. "I cannot be that transparent!" she sputters indignantly, remembering back to when Ricky quickly saw through her.

Carol rolls her eyes and looks at her daughter. "Look, if you want to spend it alone, that's fine! I promise I'll stop hounding you about your social life, okay?"

And for a tiny, mortifying moment, she almost let it slip that she's been hanging out with Ricky, who also happens to be an incredibly attractive guy around her age, just to get her mom off her case. But she quickly shakes off that absolutely asinine idea.

Oh man, imagine all the questions that little fact would open up.

"I don't believe you," she snorts instead.

Carol rolls her eyes and amends herself. "I'll try to stop hounding you about your social life and love life all the time, okay?"

"Better," she grins as she leans in for another hug.