Chapter 1.

I was brought up with it, I had no choice but accepting the fact that I will never know anything about her. I was craving it throughout my whole childhood, I was craving a shoulder to cry on and a warm embrace of a woman. The children in school bragging about their exciting family picnics always hit a weak spot. Throughout the years I learned how to ignore the pain forming in my chest and smile while hearing their stories about their perfect family constellations. I grew up with my father Harry who brought me up on his own. My mother's name has never been uttered in our household. It was never allowed. 

My father has always been a very respected man. Being the most successful lawyer in the most successful law firm in London attracts respect from the ambiance. I am aware of the fact that my father never wanted to have children of his own. I knew that I wasn't supposed to be brought to this world. My whole existence could potentially jeopardize his career and even ruin it. The awareness of the problems my existence caused doesn't stop me from battling for my own rights to be alive. I am here, I exist and the fault isn't mine. I can't and won't live life feeling like a mistake. During the years my father thought me to keep my head up high and to battle through every obstacles. It was a requirement during my childhood to respect everyone. He made it clear that all of us are equal. 

My father wasn't fond of talking about his childhood, he kept his past locked and the key was thrown a long time ago. I was always curious about his past, I would do anything to hear the story about my mother and him. My dream of hearing her name slip through his lips won't happen and it pains me. Acceptance is tough, all I ever wanted was to hear their story. Who was she? Is she anything like me? 

"Morning dad" I greeted as soon as I saw his tall figure enter the kitchen. His eyes landed on the cup that I was holding in my hand. 
"What did I tell you about drinking coffee?" he strictly questioned while taking a seat. I rolled my eyes and sat down infront of him while Miranda served us breakfast. 

"Come on, it's just a cup" I replied while taking a gulp from the cup. 
"You're too young, Carly" he dryly said. I decided not to answer his strange conversation and instead focus on going through my phone. 
"You're going to Anne today" he said referring to his mother, my grandma. His control over my plans annoyed me. He is not known for being the one who asks about plans, he decides them. 
"I can't, I have plans today" I whined while his gaze immediately met mine, shooting daggers through me. 
"I didn't ask, I stated" he said with his voice slightly raising. 
"You can't just decide what I'm constantly going to do. No one is ever deciding what you're supposed to be up to" I ranted and I knew that he despised me talking back. 
"You better keep your mouth shut Carly. You're well aware of the fact that I hate back talking." his voice was raspy and high, he was almost getting angry. His words caught me off guard and I didn't know what to reply. 
"But .." within a second he cut me off. 
"No buts, ifs or why. Be ready in fifteen minutes" he demanded before walking out of the spotlessly cleaned kitchen. 

A while later I walked down the stairs, to be honest I didn't check what time it was. While I was taking one last glance in the mirror our maid Marina rushed towards me.
"Darling, you almost forgot your phone on the kitchen table. You know how angry Mr Styles gets when he can't reach you?" she stressfully ranted. She handed me the phone and I placed it in my purse. 
"Thank you Marina, you saved my life" I replied while waiting for my dad to get ready. "You deserve a better job Marina, why are you still working here?" I blurted out while waiting for him. Just as Marina was about to answer my question I heard my father's strict voice. 
"That's none of your business Carly. I suggest you to leave Marina alone. Marina, sweetheart I apologize for her inappropriate questions" he lectured while giving me a stern glance.
"I was asking her a question, you need to relax" I could almost feel his temper raising and I wanted to take back the last sentence. 
"If you know what's best for you, you will keep your mouth shut from now on. Marina's job is non of your business therefore you better drop it." he ordered. I sighed and walked out of the house. Marina gave me a faint smile, and then she walked away, just like me.