Baby Momma Drama and Old Girlfriends

[[A/N: I know it's been a minute. Please forgive any typos you see. I wanted to get this out before I went to bed. I'll reread everything eventually and fix things I may have missed. If you get a chance, go check out the origin story I've been writing about Jax and Charlie. Let me know what you think about that one. ALSO: I'm not sure when the story picks up (like whether it's fall or winter or whatever) but, I'm thinking about squeezing in a Christmas scene either in this one or the beginning story. Thoughts?? Okay, I'll leave you to it! Happy reading!!]]

-Jax-

We pulled into the hospital parking lot for the second time that day and walked inside, hand in hand, to see my soon-to-be ex-wife. Charlie stopped just before we went inside Wendy's room. I turned to her and, after seeing her so off-kilter all day, it was nice to see her eyes less haunted and more of herself shining from their green depths. She didn't look like she's smoked any amount of the weed I gave her before we left.

"What's up?"

"I think you should go in there without me."

"Why?"

"She doesn't need a confrontation with you and have your girlfriend around to bear witness to it."

"I'm not-"

"I know it won't be a confrontation per se but, if you are going to tell her about me, she deserves the privacy to react how she's going to react without me looking at it, you know?"

"Why are you always so considerate of everyone else?"

"It's in my nature, babe. Would you love me if I were anyone other than myself?"

"I would love you even if you were a cold-hearted bitch like most of the vultures who hang around Samcro. But, I'm grateful you are not like them and that you are filled with compassion. I wouldn't have you any other way."

"Well, that's good because I highly doubt you would get me any other way. I'll wait for you with Abel."

"The whole point of coming tonight was so you could be included in all this."

"Then bring her to see her son, Jackson. She needs to see him. After you tell her about us and where you want me in Abel's life, bring her to see him. She screwed up but, she's still his mom."

"You are," I said as I pulled her into a kiss, "incredible. I'll bring her to the NICU after I talk to her."

"Great," she said and kissed me again. "No bad vibes near the kid."

I couldn't help but smile as I watched her walk toward the NICU. She was definitely feeling better. I braced myself as I turned to Wendy's room and walked inside. She was sitting up watching tv but turned it off when she saw me, looking at me expantly when I reached the foot of her bed and I realized Charlie was right. For better or worse, Wendy was Abel's mom.

"I don't want you hurtin' yourself, Wendy. Not over this. What happened to Abel's not your fault."

"Oh yeah, I'm powerless," she scoffed. "That bullshit excuse is even getting old to me."

"It's not that. Us getting back together, I knew that would turn bad. I didn't want to be married. No way I was ready for a kid. When you got pregnant, I hated you. Hated that you gave him a name. So, I bailed. Him born tweakin', his belly hanging out, that's on me, babe."

She sniffled and a few tears leaked from her eyes. "Not all of it."

"There is something you need to know," I said. I figured the best thing to do was just tell her.

"Charlie is back," she mumbled. When I didn't say anything, she wiped her eyes and looked at me. "Your mom told me. Well, she rubbed it in my face, actually." I rolled my eyes at my mother's antics.