He almost fell flat on his ass as he ran down the sand dune, so happy to see another person. Or creature, rather. Now that he was closer to it, he could see that the pilot driving the speeder was a pale Blarina adorned in a pair of goggles. The engine sputtered to a stop.

"And why," they said, voice shrill in Poe's ears, "is such a lovely human alone, all the way out here?"

"Just lost, could use some help though," Poe said, thinking quickly. He couldn't remember if Blarinas were the species who were said to be highly empathetic and hospitable or the ones who were hailed as accomplished liars.

"You want help? On Jakku? How you plan on payin' me? Nothing for nothing, that's the motto here."

Quid pro quo, the same words emblazoned on the ruined stones of the Imperial Academy on Naboo. Nothing without something in return. How many selfish beings could this galaxy hold?

"I'm sorry, man," Poe tried, scratching at his neck. His throat was dry and swallowing was nearly impossible. "I've got nothing besides the clothes on my back. I've been through a rough time."

Understatement of the year, he thought. But he couldn't give too much away. He had already given up everything to Kylo Ren, he didn't need to screw things up any further.

"And I haven't?" the Blarina answered, sounding slightly offended. "I'm a scavenger, like everyone here. If you have nothin' for me, maybe I'll just scavenge you."

And then the Blarina pulled out a blaster, lazily aiming it at Poe's chest. It didn't even phase him, but he still lifted his arms to show he wasn't trying to start a fight.

"But I don't think you have nothin'", they continued. "I think you found somethin' out here, somethin' you're tryin' a keep a secret. Maybe you tell me what it is, and maybe I don't kill you."

Poe put a hand to his sweaty forehead. The fatigue making his mind feel like it was filled with fog. He didn't even have the creativity left to make up a story. "Okay, look. I'm too tired to make anything up, so I'm gonna level with you. I'm with the Resistance, and I just escaped from the First Order. Big star destroyer--" he held out his hands to emphasize his point  "--I stole a TIE fighter, and I crash-landed here. Now, if you can help me get back to the Resistance, I will personally make sure you're compensated."

He waited, trying to gauge the Blarina's response.

They kept the blaster raised.  With a curled lip of distaste, they said, "I don't believe any of that. And even if it were true, it sounds like an awful lot of trouble."

"Okay," Poe reasoned, his patience growing thin. "How about this? You help me, maybe sometime I can help you. Or maybe someone else helps you when you need it. Maybe nothing for nothing isn't actually the best way to live, you know?"

Poe had no idea what he was doing. He was trying to turn the Blarina's own logic against them, but confusing the shit out of them would also suffice. For a second, they just stared at Poe like he had completely lost it. Nevertheless, they finally lowered the blaster.

"Maybe. Here," they said, tossing him a canteen of water. "Here's some water. Get aboard and I'll take you to town. Then yer on yer own."

Gratefully, Poe hopped on and started guzzling the water down. It was the sweetest thing he had ever tasted, and he felt more alive with just a few sips. The speeder started off again, traveling in the direction of the slowly sinking afternoon sun. The wind that ruffled through his sweat-soaked clothes only added to the relief.

"Tell me a few more of yer lies about the Resistance," the squat Blarina requested with a short glance over at him. "A few good stories to pass the time. Between you and me, it gets pretty borin' out here."