I'm going with the latter.

"You look good, and we kind of match" I looked down at my silver tie. She smiled and then studied me standing in front of her.S he studied me like I looked at her, but I know she wouldn't have the same thoughts like I had about her, or maybe she would.

"You clean up nicely too."I looked at my watch.

"I think we need to get going, traffic is a nightmare this time of the night,"

She walked beside me, we reached the bottom landing of the step and she missed it, luckily I reacted fast enough to catch her before she hit the ground. She smiled sheepishly.

"That happens a lot"

"I know, I got my suit back from the dry cleaners the coffee stain is luckily gone."She looked embarrassed and looked away.

We drove to the office, the traffic simmered down from the chaos that is New York City traffic. There was only one floor lit up for the party in the whole building. It wasn't a big party but everybody usually attends it.Nova warily followed me into the building and into the elevator, she couldn't help but tap her heels nervously and bite her lip (which she shouldn't do since It unnerves me).

"It's just a few of my co-workers, don't worry,"

"I know, but I still wouldn't fit in there, it's not my kind of scene.How long is this party?"

"Until midnight, I know it's not your scene but please do it for me?" Please-I never says please, but then again this is Nova. She gave me a mock shocked look.

"Did the almighty Ethan Hawk just ask nicely...tss tss what do you want?" 

You.

"I want you to enjoy this,"

"Not going to happen" The elevator stopped with a muted ding and we stepped into a nicely decorated cocktail party with waiters walking around with champagne and people chatting or dancing. The sleek black and metal of the office blended perfectly with the formally dressed employees.

I grabbed us champagne, Nova followed behind apprehensively-the first to greet us was Austin of course.

"Ah Ethan you made it...and I see you got Nova here too," He gave me a wink.

"Of course, she is, after all, a friend of mine," Austin gave me a skeptical chuckle and merged into the crowd.

"So what do you usually do at a party like these?"

"You casually talk, network and dance, I usually meet new people who I didn't know worked here." She scrunched up her nose. I talked to a few clients while Nova stood on the sideline.She didn't say much, she felt too awkward to try so I decided we should dance.

She happily took my offer, we slow danced.I wrapped my hands around the small of her back and she wrapped her arms around my neck. We were close, closer than ever before. She relaxed and leaned her head on my shoulder.

"I think we should go," I said, she looked up to me with glee in her eyes, still slightly worried.

"Why?This party is okay, it, a little stuffy but okay," She gave me a small reassuring smile.

"I can see you don't lit, for the past two hours you said twelve words including those you said now," She was about to speak when I held my finger up.

"Let's go, I have something better in mind," I grinned

"Like?"