Chapter 18

Ethan

I was tying my tie when I heard my phone vibrate, tonight is the office party and for some reason I was nervous.I don't get nervous.Never.

 Ethan, get a grip, it's just boring as shit office parties that the planning committee plans so that we boost 'moral'.I straightened my tie, and buttoned my suit with my hair slicked back even I could agree that I looked ruggedly sexy.I heard my phone vibrating on the glass table again, I reluctantly answered

"Ethan Hawk speaking"

"Hi, how late are you picking me up?"I heard the nervous voice of Nova on the other side. It's not like we're dating but still, I felt strange feelings towards her and they were growing stronger every time I saw her.

I don't date like I said before, I don't do relationships. It's just one of those moral codes that I life by.Lately, I've been thinking about breaking that code, just for her but Ethan Hawk isn't  a man that can stay in a committed relationship for very long. I've tried every time something goes wrong or we grow apart. It's the way love works, you love them and then as time goes on things change because people change.

"I will come and pick you up around seven, it's only 6:30 pm, are you already ready?"All of the women I've known take too much time to get ready.

"Kind of, I just have to do the finishing touches," I smiled imagining her fretting about her hair and the dress and how she should look.

"Nova, dear, why do you sound so nervous?"

"It's just...it just feels weird going to an event with a man."

"Haven't you gone out on other dates like this?"I heard a sharp intake of breath.

"Well, I wasn't ready after...college,"

"I'm leaving now, I'll be there in 15 minutes-I'll come help you calm your nerves," She said goodbye, I looked at myself in the mirror. Maybe I could try and take our friendship just a step further since she trusts me. I wanted to show her that I'll be there no matter what happens.

As I drove to Nova's I couldn't help think about the story Austin told me and Nova. I clenched my fingers around the steering wheel feeling like I'd be able to murder that man. As a man, it's your responsibility to protect a woman. They aren't things you play with and then toss aside like a plaything. Much less use them for your pleasure against their will, it disgusting to think that there are such people walking around freely when they should be locked up for good.

This explains why Austin specialized in human rights, I, on the other hand, would handle business negotiations and things like that.It also depends on what pro-bono cases I decide to do, I have done human rights cases before.

I stopped at Nova's apartment building. The walk up was plagued by thoughts about her past and how it affected her now. I knocked lightly and a few seconds later I heard her yell.

"You can come in, only if you're Ethan if you're not-I have a wok!"I rolled my eyes at her threat and opened the door. She wasn't in her living room but I heard a commotion from the bathroom, a few curses and an annoyed mutter later I saw her come out.

I think I stopped breathing for a second, I sucked in a deep breath.I studied her from top to bottom,  her hair waves down her back. The black dress had a sweetheart neckline, just going past her knee with some silver heels and accessories, she looked beautifully breathtaking.

"Does this look right?" She asked sliding her hand down the dress self-consciously, but what do I say? 'Yes, you look so beautiful that I'm having inappropriate thoughts' which will scare her away or just say that it looks good (understatement of the year).