Chapter 13

Nova

I heard my alarm go off, it was 6:30 in the morning-inhumanly early-I slammed the thing off, empty.I remembered Ethan and then some of the things that happened flashed back to me. I turned around, the bed empty.I shook it off but I did see a note sticking to the wall.I peeled it off and looked at the note, in perfect cursive handwriting.

"I had to leave early, see you later" See me later?Maybe it's just something he says because let's face it he has better things to do than stick around to make sure little old me would stay alive with evil henchmen out there trying to get the info that I really don't have. I proved that I could defend myself but I was still a bit unnerved about this whole thing.

As I went to the bathroom I cursed Austin for making this my problem, why did I have to have such an idiot for a brother? Maybe I should as my mom if she's sure he switched at birth or adopted because he hardly looks like I do and he doesn't use his brain...most of the time.How he manages to win cases is a miracle.

I dressed in my usual ; jeans and t-shirt with some walkable shoes, I stepped into the kitchen to see Derek there, he looked refresh and not as tired as I was after the whole ninja-style- kick -henchmen ass thing. I looked around the kitchen while Derek talked on his phone in a very cryptic manner, he was a bodyguard so I guess they had some sort of code.

I wasn't in the mood to make breakfast, I could hardly keep both eyes open at the same time-I looked so weird closing one eye at a time. Derek finished his conversation and walked to me.

"Austin has a case against Antonio which means he can't file a counter claim ,but Ethan wants to talk with Antonio before they think of going to trial-he said he needs to win a battle before it's fought" All this was too much to process this early so I just mumbled with a 'mmmh hmm'

Suddenly I got a bright idea since Derek is already here and he's being paid to protect me he might as well protect me from burning down my apartment.

"Derek?"

"Yeah?" He asked lazily, it's weird that in this short time I was comfortable with him around, when the case is over I'm gonna miss the company.

"Can you cook?"He looked confused.

"I guess so, kind of- my girlfriend taught me a few things"I smiled evilly, dear Derek prepare to become my man servant.

"Can you make me a pancake? Consider it protection from burning myself caused by a lack of sleep."

"Are you kidding me, my job is to protect you from people after you, not make your food"

"You're being paid to protect me so I suggest you help me with this, it's a form of protection-besides it might help you learn some skills with a frying pan, the kind of skills I have." I reminded him, yeah I'm a wok weelding ninja. Be afraid, be very afraid (actually I'm afraid of myself with that thing, I took down two oafs with it).

Derek grunted "Fine, but if you tell anyone about it then I'm switching assignments with another person" I smiled sweetly at him before doing my hair and makeup, not that I did much, my hair was tied in a ponytail and I did mascara and concealer.I smelled the lovely smell of pancakes and walked out to see Derek place two plates on the table.

"I was hungry anyways so I made some for me since you abused my services" and  onlineI laughed at his annoyed expression. 

I ate silently as I went over emails and online ads I placed a few weeks back. It was time for me to go so, as usual, I drove to the bakery, Derek following behind in his 'unsuspecting' black SUV. I stopped and opened up the shop, we're only open for about four hours on Sunday from 8-12pm so it was quiet.