153. A Darkened Silhouette

Start from the beginning

Alyss eyed her warily as she walked further into the room, her expression cautious. Miera walked behind her, making her way toward the small seating area. She gently placed the tray of food down and then turned toward Ravenna. "We are here to get you ready!" she announced happily.

Ravenna smiled gratefully at them. Both girls launched into their usual routine. Miera changed the bed sheets and picked out an outfit. Alyss bathed Ravenna and focused on her hair. It all passed in a blur for Ravenna. Eventually, she found herself seated in the bathroom, in front of the massive wall of reflective glass, staring at herself. Alyss stood behind her, her hands working on Ravenna's long hair.

"Your hair is very light," she remarked. "Like moonlight. Was it dyed darker before, when you first arrived at the castle?"

Ravenna gave a small nod, trying to be careful of Alyss's hands. "It was spelled."

"Ah," Alyss muttered. "That makes sense. Speaking of magic, your accomplice has returned to the palace. The one who also uses magic."

"What?" Ravenna snapped, her expression morphing with anger. "When did he arrive?" she demanded.

"Earlier this morning," Alyss answered. Her fingers worked Ravenna's long hair into an elegant braid. "He did not say much. I had assumed that you already knew."

"Where is he now?" Ravenna asked briskly.

Alyss tied the end of Ravenna's hair with a slender white ribbon. "Near the throne room, I believe," she answered. Her expression twisted with confusion. "At least that is where he was last that I heard. I have not actually encountered him myself yet."

Standing, Ravenna turned toward Alyss, a scowl present on her features. "I need to find him," she muttered under her breath. She walked out of the bathroom and toward the bed. Her fingers glowed icy blue as she reached under the pillow, pulling Caelan's spellbook from its hiding place. She tucked it into her skirt -- just in case she needed it.

Miera and Alyss watched her with nervous expressions. They stood very close to each other, their shoulders touching. From the corners of her eyes, Ravenna could see that their fingers were intertwined.

"Is everything alright?" Alyss asked her.

"With your acquaintance," Miera added.

Ravenna saw Alyss's fingers squeeze tighter around Miera's, a small gesture of comfort. It almost brought a smile to her face. The couple rarely ever showed any physical affection in front of others. Ravenna took a deep breath and turned toward them fully. She did her best to remain calm and collected with her response. She did not want either of them to feel stressed or worried about Vyses's return.

"Everything is fine," she lied to them. She allowed her lips to tug back in a small smile. "I am just surprised that he is in the palace."

They seemed to accept that answer. Either that or they were afraid to push her further for more information. Ravenna blew at a strand of hair that tickled her nose. It irritated her that Vyses had returned so quickly, without warning.

Though, she reasoned to herself, he had probably tried to tell her through the talisman. Which did not work because said talisman was destroyed.

She thanked Alyss and Miera for their help and then turned toward the bedroom door. The longer she waited to confront Vyses about the talisman, the more time that he had to plot against her. She slowed to a stop in front of the door. As her fingers curling around the gold doorknob, a vision flashed across her mind's eye.

The other spellbook. The one that had a mind of its own.

A frown tugged at her lips. Vyses had stored it away using magic. Ravenna had only really had access to it through the talisman. Something deep in her gut told her that she would need that ancient spellbook.

A sigh escaped her. Caelan may know the answers regarding how to reclaim the book. He may be able to access it as Vyses had, without the talisman. She opened the door and stepped out into the hallway. As she walked down the corridor, she considered attempting to reach the spellbook on her own, before she faced Vyses. She had never attempted such a spell before the talisman. She also had no idea how her magic would react to her without the influence of the talisman.

She stopped in front of the massive doors that guarded the entrance to the throne room. Her stomach twisted with knots. Nausea taunted her from the back of her throat. Ravenna tried to take deep breaths, to fight the nerves that threatened to overtake her.

Caelan was alive. He would be able to resurrect her, at the very least, she told herself.

Ravenna stepped into the throne room. Her eyes instantly found Vyses. Shock tore through her.

Vyses was lazily seated on the golden throne, his elbow resting atop the armrest, fist pressed against his cheek. His lips twisted back into a wicked grin. A sea of shadows twisted across the wall behind him, writhing ominously across the stones.

Ravenna struggled to keep a smile plastered to her face. It took all of her strength not to react or attack him. "Welcome back," she greeted him. "Were you able to find Lyth?"

He waved his free hand. The shadows behind him moved faster, swirling together at a rapid pace to create a tornado-like funnel that protruded from the wall. The tip of the shadowy funnel kissed the ground next to the throne and then reared back, revealing a darkened silhouette in its stead. The shadows retreated back to the wall, resuming its original pace.

Ravenna's heart sank as she watched the darkened silhouette take a small step forward. As the silhouette moved, the shadows that shrouded its body slowly peeled back, revealing pasty skin covered in patches of blue and ebony bruises. Vibrant crimson colored eyes exploded to life within otherwise empty eye-sockets.

The inhuman Lyth stared at her, his glowing red irises swimming with agony.

"Oh no," the horrified words escaped Ravenna's mouth before she could stop them.