Chapter Ⅰ: Elidi

Adira

Some say better safe than sorry. But I know I'll be sorry if I don't live my life with just a little bit of danger. My life is perfect. I'm on Maple Heights' swim team and cheer team, I volunteer at an animal clinic with the most adorable animals, I was adopted by the most loving family, though my little brothers are a little chaotic, I still love them. But most of all, I have the best friends I could ever ask for. Their names are Lyra, Kaden and Mateo. To top it all off, I have the privilege to ride my grandfather's motorcycle. I got my licence earlier this year and now I ride my black Triumph Thunderbird 900 everywhere I go.

I hop out of the swimming pool and head towards the change room. I have about thirty minutes until school starts.

"Adira! May I have a word with you?" Mrs. Taylor the swim coach calls me over from afar. I turn my heels and head towards her direction.

"Yes, coach?" I answer her, my voice sounding all high and cheery as usual.

"Adira, I have some great news for you. At our last swim meet, a coach from one of Canada's greatest sports schools was watching. They said they want to offer you a scholarship to SS University," she says holding a smile.

"Wow, that's great! I don't know what to say," I admit. As Mrs. Taylor said, SS University is one of the greatest if not, Canada's greatest sport school. Ninety-eight percent of the students that graduated got a job offer right away. If I get into that university, I could be Canada's next Olympic swimmer.

"You don't have to say anything. You have a meeting with them next week. I'll tell you the details tomorrow. Right now, you have a class to get to. Now get along," Mrs. Taylor pushes me towards the change room. I can't believe this! This is crazy! I've been pushing my career towards becoming a professional singer, but now I'm met with this huge opportunity to become a professional swimmer. Like I said, my life is perfect. But I can't help but feel like something's missing, something's off.

I walk into my English class and take my usual seat next to the window. I glance out the window and out of the corner of my eye, I see a girl staring back at me. Something's off about her, I can't seem to take my eyes off her. She has long curly ginger hair and she's wearing the most unusual dress I've ever seen. It's like one of those dresses you'd wear on a red carpet event. It looks like it's made of white giant flower petals. She looks so familiar. I wish I could catch a closer look at her.

"Hey, Adira." I twist my head over to the direction of the voice. I'm met with the deep blue eyes of Kaden Françis.

"Hey Kay," I greet him. I turn my head back to look at the girl one last time, but she's gone. I turned around for just two seconds and she just disappears!

"Ready for another lesson on Julius Caesar?" I ask Kaden pumped up and ready to learn. The day has started with a great start and I'm ready to rock it.

"Yep, I just finished reading the play last night."

"What?! We just got that book two days ago!"

"I know. I just want to be prepared just in case we have any pop quizzes," Kaden shrugs.

"That is so predictable of you. I bet you have at least ten pages of notes of the play."

"Nope. I have twenty-one. I summarized each scene and made note of all the themes in the play. And I explained each character, whether they're a round character, flat character or something else," Kaden explains.

"Wow. So that's how you get a perfect score on every test. You gotta lend me your notes sometime," I tell him. The bell rings and Kaden pulls out his notebook and a pencil ready to take even more notes.