OLD [Chapter 21]

Another few skids were heard in the hallway. Karl's laughter boomed throughout the hall. "You smell like a skunk!"

*   *

A few figures walked into the room, Karl following from behind them. George immediately shot up, cringing from the pain. He tried to ignore it but ultimately had to lay back down. You stood up instead and ran over to them. 

"Oh my god, how much did you guys pay?!" You scoffed, punching the first figure in the arm lightly. 

"That is classified," he chuckled. You shook your head in disapproval but inside you were secretly happy they were here.

"Hey, what about me?" The second figure whined, slouching down a little. You went up to him and pulled him into a hug, smiling.

"I could never forget about you," you beamed, pausing for a moment and then continuing, "because of how annoying you are." He laughed, shaking his head.

"Still the same person even in real life," he sighed. You giggled. In all, you were amazed that Clay and Nick actually came. Though they probably came to see George's condition and make sure they were with him, you would make sure you were fully included in each and everything they did. 

Nick let go of you and the two of them focused their attention on George. Clay furrowed his eyebrows in annoyance. 

"I don't like seeing you in a hospital bed, George," he hissed. George only laughed, raising a hand and shooing him away.

"It's the first time we've met too," he added. You watched, moving out of the way so Nick could step in as well. He acknowledged it and mouthed a 'thank you' before talking to George. You walked over to Karl and leaned against him.

"Did you know they were coming?" You glanced up at him, only to see him looking away hesitantly. 

"Well, maybe I had something to do with it," he mumbled. You had heard though and you laughed quietly. For a moment, the room was quiet. Nobody spoke, not even Nick. It was sad in a way, but also happy? Maybe, not happy, but relieved. Everyone was. We were lucky that George wasn't dead. We were happy to see each other finally. And though George was hurt, he could still see and talk to us. The smell of the room smelled like a clean old lady, like most hospitals. But now it was a mixture. A mixture of a new car smell and a clean old lady. The grass after it rains, a new car, and a clean old lady. That's what it smelled like. And it was nice, though each smell was completely different from the other. It was comforting, it was perfect. 

Finally, you cleared your throat and the boys looked at you in confusion.

"So, how long are the two of you staying?" You cocked your head to the side. Clay glanced at Nick before looking back at you.

"Probably about a few days, just until we can hang out outside of the hospital with George. Just once," he explained, nodding his head. You hummed quietly.

"Okay. Same with Nick?" You turned to Nick and he nodded, smiling slightly. "Okay. I have one last question for George since I've been thinking about it. Why are you moving to Australia?"

Out of nowhere, the air felt a little stuffy and there was a pulling tension around the room. It was a topic that no one wanted to bring up, most just wanted to pretend like it wasn't happening. But as his girlfriend and close friend, you wanted to know. You assumed Clay, Nick, and Karl already knew as well. George eyed you for a moment.

"Well, the truth is..." he paused, taking a deep breath, "one of my siblings got hospitalized in Australia. They've got... lung cancer." His voice almost cracked at the last bit. Your eyes widened and you looked away, a little ashamed for asking.

"My bad, I'm sorry," you whispered. The floor seemed a little blurry and your grip on Karl tightened. Nick and Clay went back to talking to George. 

"Are you okay, Y/N?" Karl asked, pulling you closer. You looked up to see George staring, but listening to the two next to him. What was he thinking? Could he see the same thing Karl was seeing? Or wait... Was he jealous? The thought made you want to let out a quiet laugh, but right before you did so, your hand slowly let go of Karl's arm and you started to fall. You tried to grab onto Karl but your hand wouldn't move. And then you realized. As you were falling, your whole body wasn't listening to you. It was making its own decisions, not the ones you wanted it to. In the end, it shut down, leaving you sprawled on the floor with four panicked boys.