Coming Home

' "Do you think it's possible for someone to hate you the minute they see you?"

Lou slumped into his armchair. Magdalene, his right hand doll, looked up from her knitting. She had come right after Lou-the first doll made for public consumption in a long time. When she found Lou was the only one living in this doll world, they'd become fast friends.

They'd become inseparable.

She smoothed her black dress, and went back to knitting. Her recently sewn outfit hung over the arm of her chair--a plaid skirt, meant to look like a school uniform.

"I don't know," She answered truthfully. "We both just got here."

They had been alone for a little while, just the two of them. And now there was a group of dolls to lead.

Lu glanced over at Magdalene. "Maggie, I just don't get it. Why don't they like me? I'm kind to them, right? I'm trying my hardest. All my training is paying off."

Magdalene sighed, and shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, Lou." Her red hair hung by her face in waves. Her face was angelic, with plump, perfect lips.

And a small patch of freckles on her cheek.

When the new dolls came along, the minute they saw Lou and Magdalene, they hated them. Or at least, they hated her. They teased her freckles and black clothing, calling her sick. She wasn't a proper doll. A gothic doll dressed all in black? How could she possibly get a child.

They thought she shouldn't lead them. That neither one should leave them. What did a prototype or a goth doll know about real dolls?

Lou slumped against his chair. Magdalene moved closer. "Lou...I..." She ran a hand through her already frazzled hair. "I need to talk to you."

"Yes?"

"You'll always  be there for me, right?"

"Yes. That's a dolls purpose."

"I wish you could come with me." Magdalene was scheduled to graduate. Lou, as a prototype, could not come.

"I wish you didn't have to go." Lou replied, smiling at her. "I'm sure I'll make new friends."

"I don't know what to do anymore. They're...driving me mad."

Lou shook his head. "That's what you get from Ugly dolls. Ignore them."

But he could tell ignoring them wasn't going to help Magdalene. Her style had become darker and more frazzled. She was looking worn down, and she was so afraid of the other dolls she didn't leave the house anymore.

Lou was supposed to be in control. But the dolls wouldn't listen to him.

What to do, what to do?

"Lou." Magdalene looked up at him. "Do you think they'll be happy to have me gone?"

Lou thought she was talking about the portal. "I don't know."

*3 years later.*

Lou stood at the edge of the recycling bin. He was ready to join Magdalene. But he was not going to jump.

He felt anger rise up in him.

He would not sit around, letting them think he was a kicked puppy. He'd show them all.

Magdalene would live on. She would be avenged.

HE was in control. HE was the one who would make sure Pretty dolls never did this again. HE would make sure Ugly dolls never made it to the Big World.