Chapter 1: The Beginning

It was a rainy day in January. But it wasn't an ordinary day. It was January 3rd: my birthday. I was turning 2 years old. The headmistress, Ms. Hemstring, picked me up and lightly kissed my forehead.

"Happy birthday, little angel." Ms. Hemstring said sweetly.

I giggled as she placed me on the shag carpet. I toddle towards a xylophone and struck the keys as the bell rang when someone came in. It was a couple with their teenage son.

"Ah, Mr. and Mrs. Schmidt! So glad you could make it!" Ms. Hemstring said, turning her attention to the teen.

"Who's this?"

"This is our son, Mike." Mr. Schmidt said, gesturing to Mike.

"Mike, you know that surprise we mentioned in the car?" Mrs. Schmidt asked.

"Yeah. What about it?"
Mike asked.

"Surprise! We're letting you decide who your new little sister is!"

Mike eyes widened.

"Seriously?! Sweet!!"
Mike shouted as he pumped his fist into the air. Mike looked at all the girls playing, but he noticed the sound of a xylophone. He looked in the direction that the melody was coming from and saw me, happily playing alone. Mike walked over to me and picked me up. I tilted my head, then hugged him. Mike was a bit startled, but hugged my back, turning to face his parents.

"I think this is who I want."

Ms. Hemstring smiled and exclaimed
"How exciting! Today is her birthday and she's been here her whole life! Plus, you can name her!"

"Really? Well, then her name is..." He paused, then spoke.

"Madison."