(30) Foreshadowing

Start from the beginning

It was almost as though we were entering a living organism and in some way I guessed that we were. The gigantic tree swayed ever so slightly in the breeze, not enough for one to really notice, but just enough to know it was there. The smell of flowers hung in the air, thick and hazy and when I looked up I realised that what passed for a ceiling was actually covered in them, thick floral ropes that twisted through the hallways and the rooms, birdsong emitting from higher up, confirming that it was not only Elven royalty that resided in these great boughs.

The dining hall had to be my favourite room of all though. As we stepped into the massive room I struggled to take in everything at once. An impossible wooden table grew out of the floor, smooth and worn. Places were set with wooden plates and cutlery and beautiful chairs with delicately wooden laced backs lined the table on either side, appearing, like the table, to have grown straight up from the floor.

The wall that faced outward from the cliff was decorated with arced windows that began from the floor and reached their peak just before the curve in the celling began. There was no glass in the frames and I could feel the cool open air brush against my face. I could feel my eyes widening with wonder as I watched the Elven King walk over to one of the windows and look out upon his land. In the frame of the massive archway he looked very small.

“Look up,” Ambrose whispered in my ear and I did as he asked, gasping as I took in the massive chandelier that dripped down from the ceiling. It opened out much like a giant flower, huge petals billowing outwards and as the light began to fade I could see that small lights were slowly beginning to grow brighter inside and around it.

“What is it?” I asked breathlessly, swept away by its impossible beauty.

“Elven magic,” He said simply.

*

(Anthemin’s P.O.V)

I watched as Vanima disappeared through the castle doors, the sprite at her side before I turned to Zarska. The black Dragon had flown down from her hold and now stood silently beside me. The shadows were growing longer now and as always with Zarska I felt as though she was slipping in and out of the darkness, her form wavering beside me as she waited patiently for my attention.

Tonight marks the start of the ritual. It will happen at the end.

What can we do?

There is nothing anyone can do to prevent this, it is his destiny. She must not interfere.

I fear for her … for her mind. This will destroy her.

You cannot confide in her, it would ruin everything.

I understand, but every day they-

Zarska looked away from me suddenly, her white eyes flashing gold for a split second. I followed her gaze to see Unabonan gazing down at us from the mouth of his cave, high up on the cliff face. She did not look away from him as she spread her wings, preparing to launch herself up into the sky and her words were quick.

If you want to help her make sure that he remembers her before the end of the festival. Otherwise he never will.

She pushed off from the ground, her long claws digging trenches in the dirt. I watched her wheel up into the sky with a heavy sense of foreboding. Nothing good would come of this.

*

(Zarska’s P.O.V)

I could sense his mood even before I landed on the edge of the cave, loose rocks tumbling down over the edge seeking the ground below.