Shapeshifting

You were laying in a medical cot when you woke up, with a light being pointed in your eyes.

"That's it, follow the light." Ratchet encourages.

You groan in pain, your head pounding. "That's probably not the best choice of words, but yeah. I'm awake."

Looking around, you realize you are in the medical bay on the massive bed that sits in there. It was meant for cybertronians, after all. As your body wakes up more, you feel a bit of discomfort in your side that grows into a dull pain. You sit up hoping to relieve some of the poundings in your head.

Ratchet pushes you back down, "ep, ep, ep, ep. You're still injured. Stay down."

You huff, "I don't want to have to be taken care of."

"Then you shouldn't have almost gotten yourself killed."

He had a point. You admit defeat and slump into the bed with a sigh. You gently touch the gauze around your middle, wrapped by a professional by the feel of it.

"Did you do this?" You ask Ratchet, indicating the wrapping over your wound. Ratchet shakes his head.

"Primus, no. You are much too small, and my understanding of human anatomy is limited, at best." 

"Then who did?"

"June Darby, Jack's mother."

You don't get an opportunity to see or thank her, but you intend to if/when you get the chance to meet her.

You can't do anything while you're injured. Not that there was much you could help with originally. It's dangerous to shift while you're injured, but you do heal much faster than humans do. It will still be a month at least before you've healed enough to shift safely. So you'll have to be human for a bit.

The next day when the human children come back to base, they are glad to see you awake.

"Y/n!" Miko shouts and runs up the stairs to the human platform. She tackles you in a hug. You hiss in pain and Miko immediately hurls herself off of you.

"OMG, sorry! I forgot you were hurt! Are you okay?"

"Yeah, It's okay." You carefully pick yourself up. "It's good to see you too, kid."

--------------

"Well, there's not much I can do until I'm fully healed. Shifting is dangerous." You shrug. "I will probably study another animal, though."

Raf looks up from his book, "Why do you need to study an animal?" he asks.

"To shift into an animal, I need to understand how they work. If I get something wrong, it could put me in danger." You explain. "or just not allow me to do something the animal could normally do."

"Does that mean that if you give yourself cat eyes, but keep your body the same, you'll have super enhanced vision?" Miko pops up from behind the couch. You look at her questioningly.

"Where did you get that from?" 

She thinks for a second, "If you have to get the individual organ systems correct to make a full animal, wouldn't you be able to take different systems and merge them into one Franken animal?"

You blink a few times. 

Miko was a lot smarter than she made it seem, and theoretically, what she's saying could work. 

"I don't know, Miko. I've never really tried it."

Then she jumps up, "Raf, can we use your laptop?"