I grinned, the laugh bubbling out of my chest. "I already did."

Both our heads turned in the direction of the door, hearing it shut loudly. My father entered, followed by Diego and two other guards. My mom entered shortly behind them, Emilio in her arms. 

I stepped away from Nicolas, walking over to my dad. I was going to give him a welcome hug, but he shouted at me first. "In my office. Now!"

I took a step back, startled by the hostility. One of the guards was carrying a box. She walked to my dad's office with it in hand. The other guard had my mom's diaper bag. My mom met my eyes briefly before looking away and at the guard. "In the nursery, please." The guard nodded, taking Emilio and the bag, walking in the direction of the nursery.

"Dad?" I frowned, uncomfortable with the anger in his eyes. "What happened?"

His jaw clenched tightly, a look of pure anger on his face. I flinched, a queasy feeling running along my body. I took a step back again.

"We couldn't make the FBI take a step back. I spoke to Jason and he said he'll see what he can do, but he's not sure if it would work. However, I was able to talk to some people in Rome. They'll make some phone calls here and throw off the feds until we can figure out what to do. For now, the plan of action is to make you look like you're being framed. It might bring more attention to you, but we'll just have to move silently until this blows over."

I nodded, still uncomfortable with the expression he wore. "I figured as much. I was hoping the feds would stay a bit longer, actually."

He frowned, tilting his head slightly to the right. "Why?"

I swallowed hard, nerves bubbling in me for some unknown reason. I felt ridiculous. This was my father. He was good. I could always trust him. I cleared my throat, struggling to keep eye contact. "I'm going to blow them to bits."

He paused for a moment, slightly taken aback. "Why?"

"I need to create a diversion. The illusion of power. Turns out the people from the Nine Circles sicced the cops on me. I'm going to blow the place to bits, but not before I let them know there's a mole in their department."

"You're going to rat?"

"No," I said, slightly vexed. "I'm going to eliminate the enemy. I won't tell them of the people on our side. I'm going to tell them about the people who fed the information for me, steer the investigation from me. It'll make me look less suspicious and it will turn the operation on the others."

"That's risky," my father shook his head. "Cops don't work that way. And, what? After you blow them up, you don't think they'll come knocking on your door?"

"That isn't concerning me. Feds are nothing more than annoying. A few threats here and there and I'll be able to calm them long enough to fabricate my innocence. Turning the investigation on the others is to create that illusion of power. I'll let the others know I'm onto them, then I'll obliterate their plan to chain me down."

My father stayed silent for a moment, digesting it all. In the end, he shook his head and took a step forward. "I don't care, at the moment. You and I have something we need to speak about."

"What's going on, Dad?"

"You lied to me."

I recoiled. "I what?

"Let's go to my office." Without a word, he walked past me. Dumbfounded, I followed behind him.

I walked into the office as he told the guards to leave. Mom came inside and Nicolas stood silently in the corner of the room. "Dad, what are you talking about?"