43

I left the seclusion of our basement for some water. Jessica's arrival filled me with joy, but the energy I already lacked when she came didn't magically replenish. I have gotten multiple reports on my sister and currently she is resting in a guest room with Jonathan watching over her. The rest of us, however, must prepare for the upcoming fight. 

I walk up the stairs, feeling the exhaustion like small electricity bolts shocking my legs as I go. My arm stings from the earlier wound and my chest aches with every breath, but I don't have the luxury to complain.

The kitchen lights are on and I realize too late that the person whose back is to me is my father. Right when I'm about to turn back and forget my thirst, he calls me over. I sit across from him on the kitchen island after filling up my glass.

He doesn't say anything for a long moment, just watching me as he brings his cup of tea to his lips and takes a sip. I don't cower from his gaze, but on the inside I am burning under the intensity.

"Your sister is back," he says at last. "I spoke to her a while ago. She refuses to go to sleep until you find the house and she can confirm it for you."

I nod. "The guards told me that bit."

"You must be exhausted, Tasia," his tone sounds more fatherly than authoritative and I have to force myself to hold back my smile. "Why don't you all get some rest? Think this over before doing something rash."

"I want to. I have thought about it. Doing this on tired bodies and minds isn't a good idea, I know it. But—" I blow out a breath "—If we lose her, Dad... I'm not sure I want to face that outcome."

Dad sighs, running a hand over his jaw. I want to tell him to rest, being that the way his eyes droop at the corners worries me, but I keep it to myself. He wouldn't want me to acknowledge that. "I know," he sighs. "It's a tough call to make. There's risk both ways and Mateo right now isn't thinking straight."

"Yeah," I croak out. "That is the bit that scares me. No matter what I say the plan is, Mateo will only follow his instincts. He'll do whatever he feels he needs to do to get his sister out alive. Don't get me wrong, Dad, I don't doubt his loyalty or his trust, but if there's one thing I've learned, hell, lived, is to not underestimate the pull of blood. And the only thing I can think of is to make him listen to me as much as I can and, from there, adjust to him."

Pensively, Dad swings the tea bag around the rim of the mug before looking up at me. "But he's not the boss here, tesoro. You are."

"I know, but—"

"And as boss," he continued, ignoring my interruption, "you have to be the most cool-headed about things like this. I'm not saying don't adjust to him, because it's best to back him up rather than abandon him if he goes rogue, but you also have to know that he's not thinking straight and every solution he comes up with is for the purpose of doing things short and sweet, not smart and calculative, like they should be."

I blow out a breath, clinking my nails on the side of the glass. "You're right."

He chuckles, "you know, you should let me help from time to time. I know a thing or two about a thing or two. I did rule this empire for over two decades."

I roll my eyes at him. "I don't suppose you want to take your empire back."

He laughs, resting his head on his hand, "and because I know you're thinking it anyway, who are you planning to take in the event you take off tonight?"

"Ours only. I can't really justify taking anyone but our own. This is a personal attack. Besides, I only trust ours to not tuck tail and run if things goes south."