CHAPTER 2: Trost

Começar do início

"We'll see," you replied, not knowing that Annie was trying to give you a warning.

Annie held up her glass of cranberry juice at you, wearing her infamous blank poker face. "To friends."

You raised your glass and clinked it against hers. The cranberry juice sloshed around inside the container, nearly spilling onto your pants and making you giggle. Annie sent you a very rare, small half-smile as set her glass down.

"To friends."

-

CADETS AND CITIZENS alike pushed to the front of the crowd to watch excitedly as the highest-ranking officers of the Scouting Legion passed through the main street on horseback. Leading the brigade was none other than Commander Erwin himself, face resolute as he looked ahead of him, ignoring the shouts of the crowd.

Your eyes scanned the long line of Survey Corps walking past and found your mentor. Levi, ever the private man, did not look thrilled about the large number of spectators gossiping about him as the Scouts walked past. Murmurs broke out among the cadets upon seeing him.

The commander turned his head to see you in the crowd. He raised his hand in acknowledgement the moment he saw your bright face. In his own way, he was telling you congratulations. Either that, or he was pleased about being certain that there would be at least one recruit for the Survey Corps coming from the 104th.

In line were the faces of other veterans whom you recognized from the Scout headquarters as well, such as Miche and Nanaba. There also seemed to be plenty of fresh young faces, which didn't surprise you. Over the years, you had heard that support for the Survey Corps had expanded thanks to technological advancements and the lack of breaches in the Wall. That was good, because it meant that humanity was finally bouncing back after all damages caused during the fall of Wall Maria five years ago.

"Hey, Y/N!" Hange called, cupping their mouth in your direction when they saw you. "Word around Trost says that the girl who lived with the Scouts graduated at the top of her class! Is that true?"

"It is!" one of your classmates enthusiastically answered for you.

"Oh, wow!" said Hange. They adjusted their glasses before turning to the man beside them. "Well, how about that, Levi? Your mentee is a prodigy!"

"A prodigy? I highly doubt that. Either her classmates are a bunch of weaklings, or she's gotten too far over her head," Levi said. "Don't confuse hard work with talent."

After years of getting offhandedly offended by the gloomy captain, you were numb to any sort of insults he had to offer to you, especially the ones where he told you that you were too reckless for your own good. But you knew that it was just his way of giving a reminder that he was looking out for you. So instead, you offered him a smile and a sincere salute.

"Good luck on the expedition, sir. I hope I can speak to you when you return."

Levi glanced back to meet your eyes. "Thank you."

The Survey Corps finally moved past and reached the gate. You watched them go with longing. Someday, you would be among them. As the pulley of the gates began to rise, someone violently shook your shoulder. You turned to see Eren, looking at you with wide eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"Captain Levi and Commander Erwin acknowledged you," he said, impressed. "They're my heroes!"

"I'm not so rude that I would tell you to shut up," you said defensively. "See, that's why I never said anything. Because you'd act oddly about it. I'm fine with the way you push me around. Now go be a good boy and service those cannons."