chapter twenty two

l i n h   s o n g

l i n h   s o n g

"this is it." linh pointed. room 281. the music was audible through the door so it must've been blasting inside. linh wasn't a fan of loud noises, that was one of the reasons why she didn't go to parties. she was a little anxious of what would be inside, was she really going to a college party? even marella, who normally would be storming right into a crowd for attention, had a hesitant look on her face.

the option to leave was taken from linh when the wooden door swung open to reveal a tall, buff, and tan god. her jaw dropped, no one at foxfire high looked this...manly. he smirked back at sophie, who was as equally as surprised, and moved past them. if this was what all college boys looked like, linh had a feeling she wouldn't have trouble leaving foxfire high. "i wouldn't mind going home with him."

"marella!" sophie exclaimed.

"what? you can't tell me you wouldn't. i saw the way he was looking at you."

sophie flushed and responded in a hushed tone. "i mean it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world..."

she appreciated how little attention the three had gotten when they entered the dorm room. linh texted wylie, her god brother, in advance to let him know she was coming. he had responded with a thumbs up so she was surprised when she found herself standing before him. "hey."

"h-hi." linh stuttered. wylie looked much more mature than the last time she'd seen him. his jaw more defined, arms buffer, and toned calves. wylie's bright blue eyes popped against his contrasted darker skin tone, making linh's heart flutter. she remembered him as the scrawny, tall, unathletic eight year old. wylie was a year older than her but tiergan and her father arranged playdates for them every sunday after church. tiergan was more of a role model and care taker than her own dad but she hadn't known wylie too well since he mostly hung out with tam.

marella nudged linh with a stupid grin on her face. "we're gonna go get a drink." she decided for her and sophie. the two blondes went off to the next room where there were bound to be mounds of alcohol, probably bought illegally. linh's face flushed red and wylie stood, seemingly waiting for her to say something. as she met wylie's eyes, linh caught him looking her up and down. was he checking her out?

"you look...different." was all he said before walking out to the balcony where it reeked of pot. linh let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. it took linh a minute to fully register her, sort of, conversation with wylie. did he say she looked different? what was that supposed to mean? and why did she care so much? ugh. linh needed a drink. she joined her friends in room 283 that was connected through a single door between the wall.

sophie, who looked very uncomfortable, was sipping on a sprite while marella, clearly in her element, chugged a white claw. linh waved to sophie, which seemed to settle her a little. "what happened? why are you back so quickly?" she questioned.