chapter twenty eight

s o p h i e   f o s t e r

"before you all leave, i'll be handing back your essays." sophie dropped her bag. she'd spent hours on this paper. she had keefe work on it with her, which felt like years ago, grady, edaline, and iggy revise it. iggy wasn't as much help. keefe looked in her direction and wiggled his eyebrows. sophie laughed. it was annoying how carefree he was about his grades, maybe keefe just knew he was getting an a.

ding! ding! ding! a few "slackers" started to leave through the back entrance. "the bell does not dismiss you, i do." the door closed and her classmates re-entered the classroom. part of her didn't want to see her grade because if it wasn't above a b, it would ruin her mood for the family birthday party her parents had planned for her.

"excited?" keefe asked.

"i guess you could say that." sophie felt more nauseous than excited. she had worked so hard on this. if this piece of work got a bad grade, how would she do any better? people were gathering in a line behind her english teachers desk, so she followed.

"geez foster. you look so tense you're stressing me out." keefe put his hands on sophie's shoulders and started massaging them. she brushed him off.

"that's not helping." she glared. there were two people in front of her. the first was discussing his grade with the teacher, but was dismissed seconds after. now there was only one person keeping her from her grade. soon enough, it was sophie's turn.

"nice work sophie." her teacher smiled. sophie shakily took the paper, faced down, and scurried out of the classroom. keefe wasn't far behind her.

"what'd you get?" he asked.

"tell me yours first." she demanded. keefe rolled his eyes and showed her the cover of his essay. it had an a+ written in big red letters. "you're the worst!" sophie whined. she shoved him, grabbed his paper, and started reading it. "how long did you even spend on this?"

"an hour or so." he shrugged, as if it were no big deal. "alright foster, enough stalling. let me see yours." sophie handed his essay back and shied away. "hey, a deals a deal."

she hid it behind her back and shook her head. "really? we're gonna play this game?" sophie smiled devilishly and took a few steps backwards. "foster i don't think you know who you're messing with." she waited for principal zarina to pass by before dashing down the hall behind her. sophie could hear keefe's footsteps pounding on the ground, chasing after her. he was gaining on her, she squeezed through a group of juniors that, luckily for her, were able to delay him. sophie managed to get through the front doors of the school and then turned to run down to the football field.

she checked behind her to see if keefe had caught up, which was a big mistake. he was only a few feet away! needing another obstacle, sophie threw her backpack at him. it knocked him back a pace and gave her time to reach the field. keefe dropped both their bags and was sprinting right in her direction. sophie spun around and panicked, she started to roll up her paper but caught a glimpse of the red mark on it.