fourtyeight

"good morning, darling

"good morning, darling." sirius smiles as she walks down the stairs and pecks his lips in greeting.

"good morning, sirius. someone seems to be in a good mood." katherine muses teasingly and he chuckles as he picks up the mail from the front door.

"i always am when i'm with you, princess." he says, making her giggle and blush as he looks through the letters for anything important.

"flattery won't get you very far, sirius." she hums and he raises an eyebrow questioningly at her. an amused smile stretches on his lips.

"well you're living with me and you're my girlfriend, so i'd say it got me extremely far." he hums and she rolls her eyes in amusement. he looks back down at the mail, before he hands her a letter, and raises an eyebrow as she looks at it. "looks like regulus misses you."

the colour in her face disappear as she looks at the letter in worry. she hadn't talked to regulus since that day in hogwarts and something told her this letter wasn't written as a friend missing another friend. she walks into the living room, hesitating to open it as she flips it around. sirius notices her worried look and decides to follow her, but let's her have her space as she fiddles with the letter. with a deep breath she rips the envelope open and pulls out two parchment papers.

dear katherine hopefully soon black,

that would mean we'd be siblings in law. but you're not married to him yet and if you received this letter, it means the inevitable has happened. i know you might feel mad, sad, hurt that this happened, but if it happened, it means i've accomplished my mission. i hope i at least make you proud. and sirius as well. the other parchment is for him and i know could've send it separately, but i wanted you to know first. rumour has it, you've found a lovely home in london. i wish i could have come to visit at least once, but that's not my fate.

take care of sirius will you? i know he won't take the news well. and i'm afraid he might blame himself or worse, he might blame you. the latter is less likely. just be there for him and he'll be there for you. don't worry in his letter i'm making sure he takes good care of you, because you deserve to be takes care of. you're truly one of the best friends i could ever have and i cherish all of our moments together. don't cry too much over me, live on and defeat voldemort.

forever,
r.a.b.

katherine puts a hand over her mouth as the parchment falls out of her fingers. tears roll down her cheeks as her heart shatters into the millions of pieces. sirius immediately starts to worry and sits down next to her, pulling her into his arms. he looks down at the parchments in wonder, but chooses to comfort her rather than pry in it. his heart shatters as he can feel in how much pain she's in.

"he's gone." she says between cries and everything seems to stop, as those words escape her lips. sirius pulls away slightly and looks at her in confusion as she looks up at him tear filled eyes. "he... he destroyed one of voldemort's horcrux and... he died."

"katherine, please tell me this one of those stupid jokes you and regulus used to pull." sirius says in hope, but he already has an answer as he looks into her eyes. tears form in his own eyes and katherine wraps arms around him, making him wrap his around her as they both cry at the loss.