27

Word count: 2247

My mom never let me or my siblings go to a funeral whenever someone we knew died; she says it's not a place for young people and we have no business going to place of pure anguish. I thought that was so lame, but now what I am here at Peggy's funeral I wish I can thank her. It's a nice service, Peggy was liked by a lot of important people and I finally got to meet Sharon.

Me and Sam give Steve a couple of minutes to say a proper goodbye to her best girl, so we wait for him outside the chapel. I don't know how to feel about the situation except for sympathetic towards Steve. I can only imagine what he is feeling.
"Nat?" I ask as I see the familiar silhouette approach us. "What are you doing here?"
"I'm on my way to Vienna to sign the Accords. Thought to give my condolences to Steve on my way there." She says and we nod letting her in the church.
"What happens now?" Sam asked me.
"A whole lot of a mess." I say thinking of everything that is going to happen starting the moment Natasha steps in the UN meeting.
"Care to share?" Sam asks.
"I don't think so, either way, there is nothing we can do about it." I say defeated. "I mean what's there to know? There is obviously a disagreement about the Accords and it's not going to make our lives easier now." I say as Natasha and Steve walk out of the chapel together.
"Bye guys." Nat says and walks away.
"Well, how about we go back to the hotel." I suggest and both men follow me in silence.

Steve is angry and upset, it's completely understandable and I can't do much except to give him the space he needs to process everything. The captain goes straight to the elevator to catch up with Sharon, which makes me a little bit jealous.
As I was watching them closely –Sharon– Sam interrupts their conversation.
"Well, it's time." I say to myself.
All TVs interrupt their current transition to broadcast the breaking news of the bombing in the UN quarters. Every channels is transmitting the same, some say different details, but it's basically all comparable.
"Who did that?" Sam asks me.
"Not who they think it was." I say as all the news channels show a picture of Bucky and his name as the prime suspect of the bombing. "We gotta get him before anyone gets to him."
"I don't think that's the best idea." I look at Sharon annoyed. "We got this." I purse my lips and decide to ignore her.
"Okay." I lie and wait for her to leave us so we can start to plan how we are going to get Bucky.
"Are you really leaving it alone?" Sam asks and I scoff. "Good."
"We leave in twenty." Steve says and goes to his room to get his stuff.

We meet outside and drive to the nearest airport to take us to Vienna. In the plane we start talking about the plan, I was hearing bits of the plan but my mind keeps wandering to Sharon and Steve. I am certain she likes him –who doesn't– and maybe he even likes her to or is attracted to her, but I got to trust him. He would never do anything to hurt me, or at least that is what I like to believe.
It takes no more than a few hours to get to Vienna. Sharon is waiting for us outside the plane and takes Steve to the crime scene to have first hand evidence of the bombing. Sam and I can't do anything except wait for them to give us some useful information, but that doesn't work well for me so I am decided to tell Sam where Bucky is.

"Where is he?" Steve ask before he sits down beside me as I put my coffee cup down.
"This is all you gonna get." Sharon slides a folder with information about Bucky before I can sell the details. "You better hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight."
Steve opens the file showing current places Bucky goes.
"Bucharest." I say without having to look at the file Sharon so kindly gave us.
"How did you know?" She asks annoyed.
"He was my boyfriend." I throw that fact that makes her believe I know things she doesn't, which is not a complete lie, but that's not why I know where he is.

The only way we can get there in time is by plane and it takes 2 hours from here to there, so there is little to no way Bucky was here to detonate the bomb. Logic here works very different. Anyways, we fly to Romania leaving Sharon behind, we are running out of time, but it's not hard to find Bucky's apartment. It's an old and neglected building, perfect to lay low for a while. Inside the apartment it is empty, his mattress is on the floor with only two blankets to keep him war at night, he has newspapers all over the floor and takeout containers and that is it. It is sad to look at this. While we snoop around in the tiny space Sam is on the lookout for anyone who comes near the building.
"Heads up guys, German forces are on your way." Sam says through the intercom.
"Steve." I say as I notice Bucky in the room.
Steve turns around looking at his friend from head to toe.
"Bucky!" I smile and go in for a hug. "We need to get you out of here." I try to pull him out of the apartment but he is not moving.
"They've set the perimeter." Sam warns us.
"What are you doing?" I asks still pulling him.
"That wasn't me on Vienna, I don't do that anymore."
"Yeah we know, but the people who are coming right now don't and they plan to not take you alive." I start to get nervous as we hear footsteps on the floor above us.
"That's good, good strategy." I roll my eyes. "It always ends in a fight."
"Five seconds." Sam starts to countdown. "Three seconds." We all look at each other. "Breach. Breach. Breach." Gas bombs break the windows into the flat and the fight begins.
Gunshots all over the place, bombs and Steve trying to talk Bucky out of it.
"Buck, your gonna kill someone." Bucky punches Steve and pins him down to the floor making a hole in the floor.
"I'm not gonna kill anyone." He says taking out a backpack from the floor and throwing it out the window. He pushes Steve into the police making a run for it. "Get out of here, doll." He says and I can't help but smile, it's been so long since I heard him say that and it's a sign he does remember.

He jumps down the stairs and in an attempt to stop him or hold him to wait for me I couldn't find myself to use my powers against him and it's not like he is doing things easy for us, but it's hard to use your powers without hurting anyone as well. After frantically chasing after James, he jumps out of a window landing in the roof of the building next to us as he not only runs away from us and te police, but also from T'Challa. Steve and I look at each other concerned and jump out the same window after Bucky and the prince. I have no choice but to use my powers on Bucky and when I freeze his feet in place he looks at me shocked and punches himself out of the ice. The three super enhanced men are too fast for me, so I have to borrow a bike that is being parked by a very nice guy. I ride until I catch up with them ten second late and there is no escape from the authorities. There is nothing else we can do but surrender peacefully.

"Stand down now." Rhodes says as he loads his suit and points his palms at us. "Camila you're in big trouble." I furrow my eyebrows and sigh defeated.
Police put us in handcuffs and then in a truck. There is an awkward silence between T'Challa, Sam, Steve and me.
"So you like cats?" Sam asks and I chucked.
"Guys." Steve warns us.
"What?" Sam asks. "Dude shows up dressed like a cat, you don't want to know more?"
"It's not a cat dumbass, it's a black panther." I says and T'Challa looks at me confused as to why I know. "Yes I know about you. And I'm sorry about your father."
After a short pause of awkward silence Steve asks if the black suit is made of vibranium the he sees things he recognizes.
"It is." I whisper. "Oh, and by the way Bucky isn't the bad guy here." I shrug my shoulders trying to make a point.

We arrive at the facility they intend to keep us and have Bucky locked in a cage, like an animal. He is a person, sure he is severely mentally damage, but that doesn't make him any less human. He is showing regret and remorse, he wants to fix things and locking him in a glass cage and holding his limbs is not going to help him get better or keep us any safer.

"Excuse me!? What the hell is wrong with you! He is a person!" I exclaim and Steve just holds me back. "You know it's wrong." I look at him waiting for him to intervene and take my side –as he should–.
"What's gonna happen to him?" Steve asks Secretary Ross.
"Same thing ought to happen to you. Physical evaluation and extradition." My eyes widen and I show a fake and nervous smile. "You'll be provided an office instead of a cell and please stay in it." He pauses and looks right at me. "How old are you kid?"
"Technically almost seventeen." I smile.
He shakes his head disappointed and keeps walking us to our containment office.
"For the record, this is what worse things like like." Natasha stops in front of Steve, a few inches away from his face.
"He's alive." He point out.
We walk into a huge office and I can hear Tony's voice, I want the earth to swallow me whole.
"Romania was not Accords-sanctioned." He is on the phone. "Colonel Rhodes is supervising cleanup. Consequences? You'll get there will be consequences." He lays his eyes on me and I show him my teeth. "Obviously you can quote me on that." He steps down to me without taking his eyes off me. "Anything else? Thank you sir." He hangs up and sighs disappointed. "What were you thinking Camila?" He yells.
"Obviously trying to do the right thing." I say.
"And what exactly is the right thing?" I scoff and point at Steve. "Care to simplify?"
"If we sign the Accords there is no way we can save the world in two years." I am too mad that a piece of valuable information escapes my mouth.
"What?"
"You know I can't say more, that was a mistake." I say and shut my mouth.
"My mistake was trusting you." Tony says and looks at Steve and Sam expressing he is done with us. "Oh, and you will be prosecuted too, want to play adult?" He turns his back to me and I lock myself in the office, crying and hating myself for not being able to do something more than just add myself to fights. I stay in the office a good twenty minutes until I decide to apologize. I knock on the crystal door interrupting Steve's and Tony's argument. Tony wave his hand as a gesture to come in.
"Steve?" I ask and he understood leaving us the room. "Tony." I say and got nothing. "Dad?" I say again and this time he turns around to face me. "I'm really sorry, but as much as I want to be on your side on this one I can't." I say and he exhales.
"Why?" He asks.
"There's things that I know and I know that if you listened to Steve on this one the future will be so much easier." I try to explain with as less details I can possibly give him and he stands up. "You're gonna hate me in the last couple of days, but I have to fight with Steve on this one, but I also don't want to lose you." I explain and he just hugs me. "Are you okay?"
"Listen kid, I never counted on being a father and then you came, I taught you to fight for the right thing and I'm pretty sure your parents did too, I'm not gonna blame you, but I just hoped you'd be on my side. Either way you are grounded." He kisses my temple and we both walked out to the cameras to see Bucky's psych exam, it is all going well until I remember the guy with Bucky isn't a doctor. "Excuse me, we have to get Bucky out of there." I say with such calmness and Ross scoffs. "That guy who is interviewing him, is not who he says he is." They all look at me but it is too late.