Chapter 4

Pov: Chu Scarlett

The meeting ended successfully, even though the wound on my palm was deeper and stung more than I let on.

In different circumstances, I would have never gotten injured against such a weak opponent. However, my client would have died if it weren't for me hurling my own body in between his, and the rodent's. A miniature cut like this was actually nothing compared to what could have went down.

I was forced to acknowledge Roche as one of our own this time, since it wasn't that easy to find him a good enough replacement. I couldn't downplay the fact that he was an S rank with 1 gold, and 2 silver stars.

Now that he's staying, it's time to let go of my grudge. I can't let my personal feelings get in the way of my work.

We had decided that agent Venus would be guarding Christopher right now, which is why they took their leave.

Agent Pak and Minji were in the middle of a discussion when I spotted Roche looking at me from the corner of the room, with guilt consuming his eyes.

Sigh..

I'll try to hear him out this time.. I'll just have to stop myself from leaving a hand sized bruise on his face.

Approaching his seat, I knocked on the desk, signaling for him to follow me outside. His emerald eyes widened astoundingly fast and glistened in hope. He looked like a lost puppy that just found its owner again. In other words, absolutely pathetic.

He didn't even wait till we were completely out of the room to start speaking. "Are you actually going to hear me out??? You kept me in the team!"

So annoying.

"You are staying, but-"

Hold up-

"Why are you crying?" I've never seen him like this before.

"Scar I'm so, so, so, so, SO SOOORRYY!!!" He managed to reply in between sobs.

He looked quite funny to me. His eyes were roaming around, trying to see if anyone was watching him.

I had gotten a bit familiar with the secluded hallways, so I grabbed his wrist and guided him there.

"Scar, I promise I didn't mean what I told you back in France! I was in pain and I needed someone to blame! We all did! I truly apologize for everything!"

I don't care.

He started crying again, "I.. *sniff*...I searched for you everywhere, but you had left the country.. *sniff*.. With no prior notice too.. " He took out some tissues and blew his nose.

What a kid. A 23 year old kid.

"I tried to call you, but you'd changed your number too!" he exclaimed with huge, round eyes. His hair had gotten disheveled from the amount of times he'd ran his hands through it today.

"I've been drowning in guilt ever since, but I figured it was nothing compared to your pain. Knowing that you were out there, somewhere, probably in more pain than most of us combined, while also blaming yourself, made me realize that I did not deserve your forgiveness. I turned on you when you needed me the most, Scar... I let you down." he chocked out. "I don't expect you to go back to being my best friend, but I need you to know that I don't blame you. Deep in my heart, I never did," he whispered, as he finally started to calm down.

I looked up at him, but he avoided my gaze. To him, the wet tissues fidgeting in his hands seemed to be of utmost importance at the moment.

I wasn't sure about how to react. I was not expecting for him to have been in so much pain. Under the circumstances we parted in last time, I could have never guessed that he'd end up apologizing to me. Even though what happened was technically my fault.