Chapter Twenty - One - Intentions

Start from the beginning

"No. It's not too much." I turned, busying my hands so he couldn't see the way they were shaking. The truth was, I felt the exact same way. Sure, this was my first sexual relationship, but I had lived enough to know a connection like ours was unusual.

"I think your parents are here..."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because Collins is standing in my doorway..." Eli's voice was amused, but I bristled. That no good, two faced, manipulative little...

"Good evening, Elijah." Collins purred, her voice dripping with fragile girlish insecurity, that was so far from the truth.

"Good evening, Collins." Eli responded, his voice sexy and laid back like it always was in high school. Like you would expect one of the most popular men on the planet to sound. Meanwhile, I on the other hand was desperately grasping at every ounce of self control I could muster.

"Hey, sis." Collins chirped, crossing her hands behind her back all prim and proper.

"Hi." I breezed, begging my voice to sound self assured, but it quivered with anger.

"Cute outfit..." She prodded, but I refused to take the bait.

"Yeah, you too." I smirked, her ivory lace sleeved dress a far cry from her usual skin tight attire. "Did you borrow that from mom?"

"It was one of hers from when she used to tour with dad. Very vintage."

"Vintage. Ha." I deadpanned.

"At least it fits me..." Anger flashed through my green eyes. It wasn't my fault I was taller than our tiny mother. Still, it was something that Collins continuously made me feel self conscious about.

"You little bi-"

"Girls?" My mother's voice called, coming up the stairs. As if on cue, her tiny blonde figure emerged in a beautiful emerald wrap dress that made her eyes pop. At least I got those enchanting eyes while Collins got my father's cat-like hazel yellow eyes.

"Sorry, mother we were just telling Elijah hello." Collins cooed but my mom frowned, being immune to Collins' games.

"Well there's a room full of people down there waiting to eat, so why don't we get a move on?"

Collins nodded and led the way, followed by my mother, and Eli and I taking up the rear, descending the staircase with my arm looped through his, pretending it was for balance even if it was just because we were desperate to touch one another. A concept I knew wasn't lost on my mother as she turned and smiled brightly at me, taking in our entangled limbs for exactly what they were...a promise of what was to come.

*************

The people at the West's famous dinner parties were always the most interesting kind. They were an eclectic mix of music industry professionals, actors and actresses, and normal people like me.

"So how do you and Elijah West know each other?" A particularly busty brunette actress cooed, standing a little too close for comfort.

"We've been best friends literally since we were born." Eli flirted back and I gripped my red wine glass so painfully tight I worried it may shatter. I suppose he was telling the truth, we had been friends since the day I was born, but to me it seemed like so much more than that. Especially after the other night, with our naked tangled bodies and sexual transaction.