Chapter Forty-Five - Teeth

"So, what're you thinking?" The female makeup artist, Simone, asked her hands shaking a little as she studied my cheek bones. Poor thing was positively terrified to do my makeup.

"Isn't that your job?!" Collins piped up rather rudely from across my mother's bathroom, her artist having no problem coating her thick lips with red lipstick.

"Ignore her...she forgot to take her meds today." I shot her an icy glare.

"Bitch." Her red lips muttered.

"Whore." My bare lips replied.

"Ah, back to hurling insults at one another." My mother breezed into the room, introducing a hint of Viktor&Rolf Flowerbomb into the air. "And just when I thought the two of you were getting along..."

"We do get along just fine...when Collins isn't being evil." I nodded to where Simone was presenting me a smokey eyeshadow pallet.

"Your sister isn't evil, she's just nervous."

"Nervous? What in the fuck do I have to be nervous about?!"

"Language!"

"Sorry." Collins muttered, but we both knew she wasn't. She'd inherited her colorful vocabulary from dear ole dad.

"You don't need to pretend, darling. I worked with Chloe this past week, and she told me Trinity would be attending the function tonight...with her new girlfriend."

"I couldn't give two shits if Trinity and that boring fucking cow Sally Shemanski are coming tonight!"

"Collins!" My mother exclaimed, but she was already brushing off her makeup artist and storming toward the door.

"Let her go." I sighed as Simone began to paint my face with foundation. "Trinity was her first great love. It's hard to forget those."

"Yes it is." My mother smiled knowingly at me, and I had the feeling we weren't talking about Trinity anymore.

"Is he coming?"

"Yeah, he should be landing any minute now."

"Good. I'm sure he's looking forward to seeing you..." I sent her a warning glare as the makeup artists listened intently.

***************

The dress Katrina had created fit me like a glove. I supposed I could thank the croissants at Cafe Luxxe and the tacos at the East Side Taqueria for that. I shifted on my feet, feeling like a million bucks, but also like I may fall over at any given moment.

Thousands of heavy midnight blue glass crystals paneled the tight strapless dress, making it appear black until the dress was photographed. When the bulbs flashed, the beads caught the light and they visibly glowed. I gave myself one last critical glance before leaving my childhood bedroom.

My blonde hair hung long, thanks to the extensions Simone had clipped in, waving softly down to just above my breasts in a style that reminded me of an old Hollywood movie star. After my hair was finished, she coated my full lips in a nude matte lipstick, so it wouldn't take away from the utter magic she did on my eyes. My green irises glowed beneath a layer of gold and black eyeshadow and a thick coat of mascara.

"Wow, kiddo. Lookin' good." My dad whistled between his teeth as I slowly descended the black iron staircase in my six inch translucent Louis Vuitton heels. Katrina didn't carry heels in any of her collections. Something about 'the patriarchy inventing heels and she wouldn't support such a sexist ideal'. Unfortunately, the glass dress called for a pair of equally as dramatic shoes.