Chapter Seven - Bad Romance

"I've heard the pizza here is good..." Connor mentioned from across the table of the small Italian restaurant in the outskirts of Malibu. He looked beyond gorgeous in jeans and a white polo shirt that brought out his tan and stretched nicely across his muscles.

"Oh yeah? I've heard that too..." I said politely, failing to mention the fact that I knew first hand that the pizza here was good. Eli and I had gone the last time I saw him around Christmas three years ago.

We ultimately agreed to split a pepperoni pizza and a bottle of red wine that Connor bought, seeing as I was only nineteen. I sipped on the house red blend and smiled as he dove into another story about his water polo accomplishments. He was pretty, and kind, but honestly kind of boring.

"What are you doing after this?" I blurted, interrupting him before he could get to the part about scoring...again.

"Nothing. I don't think." He swallowed a gulp of wine. "What did you have in mind?" The way he licked his lips made me almost laugh. I knew he was a twenty-one year old guy but he honestly couldn't think I would put out on the first date.

"There was a show filmed down the beach from me today, and I got to be an extra." I failed to mention the fact that it was Eli's show and me and my mouth had more of a starring role.

"That's cool!"

"Yeah. So they're having a wrap party tonight and invited me if you wanna join."

"That would be cool." He grinned easily and I grinned back. God he was pretty.

**********

We walked easily from my house down the beach hand in hand. My red floral dress billowed around my knees as my white tennis shoes dug into the sand, looking like a fucking modern day Taylor Swift music video.

"I have a confession." I smiled weakly turning to him as we approached the beach party in full swing.

"The show was one of Eli's."

"I figured as much." Conner smiled dryly.

"Really?"

"Yeah. You could've just told me. I'm not really the jealous kind." He squeezed my hand once and I wondered if he would still feel that way once he saw my scene.

"I'm glad." I smiled genuinely, chastising myself for being so judgmental during dinner. Connor was a nice guy.

"Beach Girl!" Jean-Michelle waved at me once, and I waved back, but steered us over to the drink station instead. I accepted the glass of red wine Connor poured me, despite having had two at dinner and feeling a little dizzy already. My eyes scanned the crowd while I sipped, not knowing what I was searching for until I saw him.

Eli stood laughing loudly in a black button down dress shirt, rolled up at the sleeves, casually paired with heather grey golf shorts. He was the perfect mix of professional and west coast casual. A couple of interns moved in front of him and that was when I saw Denise's petite body standing next to his. She was gazing up at him as if he hung the moon, and I turned my gaze back to Connor.

"This is cool." He motioned to the lanterns in the sand and the people milling about munching on finger foods.

"It is. Thanks for coming with me." I said, the relief apparent in my voice.

"Thanks for inviting me..." He squeezed my hand again and leaned down, his eyes glued to my lips and I blushed, remembering the way Eli had looked at them the same way earlier.