Chapter 17

After the pencil man spoke, he looked at Arnie. His facial expression didn't seem to be that of a prisoner. Arnie stood still and looked back at the pencil man. No one spoke again for over a minute. The silence felt thick in the room until the pencil man spoke again from behind the bars.

"There is a key just behind you on the wall there." and he pointed to a position about three feet to Arnie's left. Arnie looked round and saw a small key hanging low on the wall. It was near the floor at the perfect height for a pen or pencil man to reach easily.

Flimgog walked over and plucked the key off the wall and made his way over to the prison door. Behind the bars the other pencil men were getting up and gathering around the one who had spoken. They were getting ready to be out of their cell. Arnie wondered how long they had been there.

"What's your name?" Arnie asked the one who had spoken, presuming this was the leader.

"Alagog is my name. We were taken prisoner when the village was captured."

Flimgog reached the door and pushed the key into the lock. Arnie looked on as he did it. He was fascinated because the room was large enough for him, but the locks, doors and prison were all obviously designed for small people. He couldn't have fit through that door and yet he could have stood up easily inside if he did manage to get in.

Alagog came out of the prison, and the others followed behind him. They all gathered in the middle of the room.

"Are there any more of you in this building?" Arnie asked him, wondering if this was their only surprise.

"No. The rest fled before we were taken. We were left to defend the village."

"Ok." Arnie turned and looked at Flimgog, "Search the rest of the building." he said. "Then we'll gather in the main chamber to hear your story." he directed the last words at Alagog. Alagog simply bowed respectfully.

Before they moved on to their next section of the search, Arnie motioned to Flimgog to stay along with several other of his soldiers. Once the others had left to continue the search and the freed prisoners had gone to help, Arnie took the pen warriors in the sack and released them into the prison cell. They didn't struggle which Arnie found strange. They simply glared at Arnie as they were locked in. "You will be given enough food and water, and we wish you no harm." Arnie told them. They remained silent, staring insolently. "Let's help to complete the search now." Arnie said to Flimgog. Flimgog nodded and they turned to leave the room carrying the key safely with them.

Just as they got outside the room one of the pens shouted out, "You will not win! We will protect our homeland from you!" Arnie looked round in surprise but all the pens had turned away. He stepped out into the hall and left two pencils to guard the door. "Let me know if anything happens." he told them. He felt there was something about what the pen had just shouted that didn't make sense but he couldn't figure out what it was. He put it out of his mind as he went to help with the search.

The rest of the search passed without event. They found no other traces of people and nothing out of the ordinary. Arnie wondered once again about the size of this building.

They did manage to find the store of food and this was brought up to the main chamber where they ate together. Once they had all gathered and eaten to their satisfaction, the meeting began.

"Tell us your story." Arnie said addressing Alagog. He was amazed at how confident he sounded. He realised how much he had changed since he had arrived – landing on that pile of socks. He felt like he belonged here and his voice, he noticed when he spoke, was somewhat commanding.

Alagog spoke, his voice was sort of monotonous - in a squeaky kind of way.

"Scouts had warned us that the pens were marching so we had a small headstart in our preparations. We knew they were heading towards us with domination in their hearts and minds. For as long as I have known, the pens have wanted to dominate this land and this was no different. Therefore, as is normal in such instances, we prepared for battle to defend the village.

"However, it wasn't long before the last of our scouts raced back in and told of their weapon. Their weapon was coming with them.

"We had heard of her before of course and we knew what could happen, so the evacuation began immediately. We are a small village anyway it didn't take long to get the main population of the village out. My soldiers and I remained and were guarding the entrance to the village. Our job was to divert attention away from the main villagers and defend to the best of our ability.

"When they arrived we did the best that we could. We fought hard but the battle lasted only minutes. She came, she scooped us up one by one and put us into a black cloth sack. Inside it was pitch black, though it was comfortable as well.

"The darkness in the sack was occasionally broken by a slight glimmer of light that would seep in as other pencil soldiers were added, but I couldn't see who was in there with me until we were tipped out in our prison cell.

"We made a break for the door, but she knocked us down and locked us in. We tried to question her but she said nothing. Her face was a mask, emotionless and blank.

"We have been fed and kept comfortable but have never gleaned much information from our guards." He looked at the floor sadly.

"We did think you would come, however, as we know the writings predicted a human saviour. And so, we kept our spirits as high as we could!" Alagog fell into silence and no one replied for a few minutes.

It was Flimgog who broke the silence, his voice ringing out through the chamber. "Where is she - this weapon - now?"

Alagog stared at the floor before answering.

"I don't know exactly what they are doing, but I did overhear one of the guards one day. He said that they would be going back to their base village soon. And I just barely managed to hear the name as he said it."

"What's the name?" Arnie spoke now, eager to know. His voice was laced with urgency.

"Inksville" Alagog replied simply. "I know of it from previous map studies. It is west of here."

"Gather yourselves, eat well and rest. Tomorrow we leave for Inksville. We are going to put an end to this oppression. We'll win this now!" He looked around at his gathered soldiers and the newly added soldiers of Alagog.

"For the pencils!" Arnie called out.

"For the Pencils!" His own soldiers called in unison.

"Flimgog, arrange a small team to escort these soldiers back to the village. They need..." Alagog cut him off, sharply.

"We're coming with you Arnold. We stayed to defend this village and we will fight to the end." His voice had a tone of finality to it. His soldiers called out in unison,

"We stayed to defend this village and we'll fight to the end!"

Arnie smiled at him and nodded.

"Then be ready. Tomorrow we march!"

Please remember to vote if you like it! Let me know your thoughts so far by commenting too!