Chapter 33

The spider was in front of them. It's legs had now been wrapped at Magnus' command by his needle birds. Magnus had come over to join them as they approached the spider like he had been listening to their discussion and knew they were about to question it. He was still bubbly and enthusiastic, but he seemed to be flailing less and containing it more.

They surrounded the spider, a somber, serious feeling in the air. Arnie and Isabelle stood behind the gathered creatures of the land. Isabelle was holding his hand and he could feel her trembling. Her fear of spiders was obvious and he was impressed with her resolve. He noticed himself feeling quite nervous in the presence of this beast. There was just a feeling about it. Something not-so-friendly.

In front of the spider, without a trace of fear, stood the pen leader and the pencil leader. In between them stood the paintbrush leader. For now there was unity. Arnie believed his story and he thought that the two leaders probably did too. Magnus stood to one side.

Despite the spider being tied up he was surrounded on all sides by pen soldiers, pencil soldiers and paintbrush soldiers. There were also several spoons and birds hovering around. The rest of the captured spiders, the ones that had not been cast out of the village were heavily guarded as well. They were situated not far away.

The paintbrush leader clapped his hands and, as though a button had been pressed, the eyes of the spider flickered and opened. The black, reflective eyes shone malovelently. Arnie felt a knot of fear in his stomach and felt Isabelle recoil a little. He tightened his grip on her hand to steady her. None of the gathered leaders or soldiers showed any sign of fear. You wouldn't even know they had noticed the spider awaken had the paintbrush leader not spoken. The spider remained still and silent.

"Araña rei. I have awoken from whatever snare you held me in. No longer am I trapped within the confines of my own mind, unable to escape through the bars and walls of emotion and misdirected hate." The voice was measured, calm and yet direct and forceful. Loudness played no part in its effect.

"I need some answers from you."

There was silence for a time. To Arnie it felt like an age that had no end. The seconds dragged on and on, each one feeling like an hour. The paintbrush leader and the spider stared at one another. The air was tense, it felt thick with emotion. At last the spider spoke. Arnie recognised the voice immediately. It was the voice they had heard in the chamber. The voice that had rang out in rage at the questioning. It was calm now but it was a menacing calm. It had an almost hypnotic quality to it. Designed to lure prey in. Mixed in with the words was the occasional click of the moving fangs.

"I am subdued dear friend. Of course I have no position from which to argue. Why would you question me in such a humiliating way? Your advisor and friend for all this time I have been. Working for the betterment of your people and this is how you treat me?"

It was phrased as a question and Arnie felt pity. This was not the emotion he expected to be feeling. He shook himself and paid attention.

"You intended no such thing. You used us to further the ends of yourself and your people. Who are you and why did you come to my land?" The paintbrush leader's voice was sharp and it snapped Arnie back to his senses and away from feeling pity.

Arnie saw a flash of rage go through the spider's eyes and he thought the front legs jerked but it was hard to see. They were securely tied with thread.

"You know me. I am araña rei. As for where I am from, well I am from the same place as you. This is the land of the lost is it not? Me and my kin are the lost spiders." Listening to the clicking, quiet voice made Arnie think of poison laced honey. He didn't go on. Surprisingly it was Magnus who spoke. He kept his voice tone low - an unusual thing for him.

"The lost spiders. These are the enemies of the Queen!"

"When a human enters a room and is faced with a spider, more often than not they want rid of it. There is a particular type of spider that people often face. The one that disappears. They see it and then in attempting to catch it or "keep an eye on it" it vanishes. They have failed to catch it, failed to remove it. Where did it go? That question is answered here." He pointed at the spider in front of them. "For that human it is a source of wonder, worry or sometime terror. Will they be able to sleep not knowing where that spider is? These are the lost spiders."

Araña rei spoke again. "That is us. But the fear humans have for our kind is misguided. We wish them no harm. We wish only for shelter, warmth and food." Arnie felt the hypnotic power of the voice. It pulled him towards sympathy, pity and belief. But he knew in the back of his mind that the spider was not to be trusted. The eyes gave it away. Behind that sweet, logical, friendly voice was a beast waiting to be unleashed. He felt the hostility within and felt it was ready to burst.

"I know your plan was to gain control of Sockland, I do not know why. Do me the service of answering honestly for once. Why did you want control? What was your goal?"

"My goal was as I stated. To help you and your people to achieve equality and success. To remove the oppressive thumb of the two stronger groups - pens and pencils."

"Nonsense. What were your real intentions? Why us? I can see through you now. Your venom is no longer at work on my mind." The paintbrush leader continued his questioning, but he never got angry. Nonetheless the spider leader snapped.

"She must die! I am the true ruler of this land and it will be mine!" The spider let out a roar. His fangs were batting together, clicking frantically and menacingly. He struggled to move his legs, struggled to break free of the bonds. Similar sounds echoed from the clearing as the other spiders responded in kind. Arnie felt a flash of terror at the sound. The beating and clicking from all around was loud and he was convinced that the spiders were about to burst free and overcome them all. But it passed. The pens, pencils and paintbushes did not move. The thread held and the spider in front of them slumped in defeat and spoke no more.

Further questions were directed at him, but he said nothing. The spiders in the clearing gave up immediately after he did.

The paintbrush leader turned away from the spider and addressed those around him. "I do not think we will get more from him now. It would appear he wanted to use his position here to take control of Sockland. I am thankful you came when you did. Do you wish to continue the questioning?" Both the pen and pencil leader shook their heads. There was nothing more to ask.

"Take him to a cell. Ensure he is kept fed, but do not untie his legs. Keep him well guarded at all times. If they agree, I think he should be guarded by all races in equal measure." He looked at both of the other leaders again and this time they both nodded their agreement. Soldiers from each species were directed to take the spider away and they carried him off.

"I think the others should be freed, I don't think they will cause trouble without him." It was Magnus who spoke again.

The leaders agreed and orders were issued. They were to be gradually filtered out of the village and taken over the hill and to the forest. A team involving all races was put together to accomplish that task.

More teams were sent around the village, cleaning and repairing, painting and fixing. The spoons started playing music. It was cheerful music to keep them upbeat as they carried out their various chores and tasks.

"Now." The paintbrush leader addressed the other two leaders again. "We, the paintbrushes, have caused you a lot of damage with our stupidity. Writingshire has been plagued with unnecessary and violent war. We must make amends. We must repair wat we have done. And most of all we must set in motion that which will prevent it from ever again occurring." He paused and looked at both of the other leaders in turn. His eyes showed remorse and sorrow. "Will you join me in conference to repair the damage done? To form bonds and alliances into the future?"

"I will."

"And I will."

"And Arnold and Isabelle shall witness this moment." Magnus said.

Please remember to vote if you like it! Let me know your thoughts so far by commenting too!