Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Charlotte asked me if I'd like to continue my tradition of wearing red and gold at formal events to provoke the Queen. I informed her to refrain from preparing such garments this time because while Margarite is no longer the love interest destined to marry Prince Cole, I wish not to retract from such a noble lady's special occasion. This day, while clearly planned by Queen Rista somehow, is a day to support Margarite, even if it means her union with the Second Prince's faction.

She's still the heroine in the story I've read countless times, the kind, intelligent, and poised heroine that I might finally get the chance to meet. I wonder how she was coerced into marrying Tristen when her true love is right there. I wonder what Queen Rista probably offered her, and how she's important to her plan.

I wonder if she'll be everything I imagined.

I chose a satin baby blue gown that flows longer in the back than in the front. The train behind me trails along the ground, and is covered with a layer of lace creating a floral pattern that cascaded in a cape around my shoulders. The fabric around my breast is embroidered in a similar pattern, wrapping around a single shoulder and leaving the other bare. My hair is wound tightly into a knot at the top of my head, allowing a few strands of curls to frame my face. Charlotte suggests that I adorn the gold necklace that Baron Clemente gifted me, and I choose to match it with a set of golden bracelets that hang loosely on my wrist. Finally, my family's golden crest is pinned to the bun on my head, displaying proudly to everyone my wealth and status. Charlotte was adamant on my wearing the crest, even if I had no use for it.

Looking at the dark circles under my eyes, Charlotte shakes her head in disappointment and spends the majority of the morning caking makeup on my face to hide them. I can't help it. I spent all night devising a new plan to survive this story, this time with Prince Cole. He no longer has the safety of the Hastings estate, and Queen Rista seems to be growing more and more impatient. The only thing that's missing is where Margarite fits in the story now, and I'm planning on figuring that out tonight.

The Hastings estate is located in the eastern territory, meaning much of the supplies and resources Cole was privy to isn't available in the Ewell estate. For this reason, I've done plenty of research about the nobles in the first prince's faction located near the western territory. Garnering their support today will be the first step.

After sitting for hours to please Charlotte's expectations, I leave with Lucinda to the same ballroom where the Sonna Festival ball took place. While I was invited as an imperial knight, I was also invited as the daughter of Duke Ewell, and to the royal family, this title takes precedence. I will not be an imperial knight this evening, but a Lady escorted by her knight, and accompanying the Crown Prince as a duke's daughter should.

Prince Cole was already waiting outside of my door when I finished preparing for the ball. He wore a black suit, a color I'm not used to seeing on him, especially at these formal events where the royal family is to show off their power and influence. According to him, Charlotte told him it'd be better to match me rather than Margarite who'd surely be wearing the colors of our kingdom. Still, he's as strikingly handsome as every other time I've looked at him, maybe more so with his hair so nicely placed.

He was taken aback when he saw me, though I'm unsure if it was a loss for words or if my appearance wasn't enough to immediately cross his mind. Eventually he offered an arm to me and smiled, "A beautiful dance partner fit for a handsome prince." I roll my eyes at him and hook my arm around his. How does one compliment their date for the evening by complimenting themselves?

"I have a lot more frogs to kiss if I am to find that handsome prince," I mock, dragging him away from my room and towards the carriage prepared to take us to the main estate before he can bark in protest.