Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Lady Amalie if only I had followed you," Lucinda is kneeling in front of me, head to the ground and yelling sincerest apologies. "Charlotte told me to just give you space, she said if I followed you then I'd only add to your burden. When you returned with the Prince that night, and found out what he saved you from, I know I am the only one to blame. It seems Crown Prince Accolodius is doing my job far better than I am."

Charlotte is wiping away the smudged make up from my face as Lucinda keeps apologizing. I'm getting a bit of deja vu. My maid keeps muttering apologies next to my ear, while my knight is shouting them; both sound equally sincere.

I know it's neither of their faults. I bursted out of the ballroom so suddenly and in such a panic, they both felt inclined to give me a bit of space. I'm mad at myself for not being able to see where Viscount Mowry was headed soon enough, but I know that he's the only real person that can be blamed for this entire fiasco.

If Prince Cole hadn't been there... I don't even want to think about what could have happened.

"Raise your head Lucinda, the only one that need be blamed is the insidious Viscount Nathaniel Mowry. Tell my father, the Duke, to rethink his vassals. I believe the Viscounty could be better served under another man's guidance." I pull my family's crest from my hair and a wave of fiery spirals cascade over my shoulders. Lucinda looks up at me, and I finally get a clear view of the pained expression she'd been hiding.

"Charlotte," I say, not looking at her, "Send a letter to Crown Prince Accolodius informing him that I've arrived to the inn safely, and to inquire about when my duties as his knight will begin. Explain that I've informed the Duke about the matter regarding Viscount Mowry, and speculate as to how they would like it to be resolved. While I'd love to have a say in his punishment, I don't have the power nor the sex to determine much."

Charlotte goes to grab a piece of parchment, and I slip off the heels still blistering my feet. I was a blubbering mess in front of the Crown Prince, but in front of my servants I decide to be the composed Lady Amalie, no matter how shaken I feel inside. "So you agreed to his proposal after all?" she sighs, "Why make such a scene and run off if you were to ultimately agree."

"You are mistaken Charlotte, I would not have agreed otherwise until Prince Cole saved me, I realized how unbearable my alternative options would have been. I'm sure there are many worse proposals than the Crown Prince's."

Lucinda grabs her sword and places it at the door, relieved of her duty for the night. "The Prince and his regiment mainly occupy Lambhurst Palace, directly detached from the main estate where the king and queen reside. It'd be my honor to escort you there once summoned." She bows a bit, and I nod my response.

"And," I begin, remembering the risks that I'm gambling when entering that palace, "What of Prince Tristen and Queen Rista, how often do they appear at Lambhurst?"

"Not as often as you'd think, maybe once every few days. Unless they appear for a formal meeting with the Prince or the Lords, you'll have almost no reason to meet them. As a personal knight, Crown Prince Accolodius might have a few occasions to take you to the main estate, but not enough to even learn their faces." It feels like a weight from my chest was lifted, and yet the dark cloud of doubt still looms over my head.

Prince Cole saved me, I can't let his heroics go in vain. I'll survive, and in the time I'm staying at the palace, I'll do whatever it takes to make sure he does as well.

"Perfect."

* * *

I received a response from Prince Cole the next day. He sent to have me delivered to Lambhurst Palace in two. Charlotte was fetched in a servant's coach, and Lucinda and I were brought in a carriage that could easily rival those of the Ewell estate. While Lucinda is technically a knight of the Duke's regiment, she was tasked with training me as a part of the Crown Prince's first regiment.