Chapter 3

If I had known all there was after death was just more life, I wouldn't have tried so hard the first time around.

Within the span of a single hour, I was hit by a truck, died, and woke up in the body of one of the most hated characters in my favorite book. The strikingly beautiful face that stared back at me with two pensive, green eyes, spoke when I spoke, moved when I moved, and panicked when I panicked. I'm me, within a person I don't recognize.

I'm still not completely convinced that this isn't some twisted nightmare, that I'll go to sleep and wake up at my dorm with calculus notes in hand, but it feels so real. Everything feels so real. If everything that happened is what it seems...then what?

I wonder if my parents have found out about my accident yet. I wonder if anyone cares that "Caroline Rosings" is dead. I wonder why I have the urge to cry, yet no tears fall. It would make sense, it would be understandable if I just started to bawl right now, but no matter how hard I try nothing comes out. I'm not sad my previous life ended, not like how I expected to be sad; it was a crappy life to begin with. I'm more happy that I was given a second chance. Sure, I'll miss my parents, but we weren't on the best terms when I left for school. It's kind of nice to have a doting father and mother for once.

If the timeline follows with my memory, the Queen should be visiting the Ewell Estate tomorrow, and a year later, the both of us will be executed. Now that I'm alone, and slightly more adjusted to my circumstance, I need to devise a plan to change the ending of this novel.

I can't waste my second chance.

Before night fell, I sat next to the window, transcribing notes of the original story to the best of my ability. There were small gaps in my memory, but I was able to recall most of the main events from the novel. The Queen's arrival, the raid on the castle, the nobles that aided Accolodius while he was in hiding, every detail I could think of was transferred to a piece of parchment. No one tells you how difficult it is to write with a quill until you write a novel.

When the light died down outside, and the maids started trickling back in to check on me, I hid my short manuscript under my matress, and followed the young ladies to the dining hall. There, my "father" was waiting for me.

The Duke was eager to meet his daughter, clear in his worried manner of pacing. Maybe he could tell I wasn't her, or at least, not the Amalie he remembers. What will he do if he realizes I've taken her away from him?

I don't even want to consider what this man is capable of, so for the time being, I need to make him believe that I love him like a father. Remembering the interactions I've read between Amalie and the Duke, there should be more than enough information to play the part.

"Father!" I exclaimed, running towards him excitedly. He takes me into his arms and spins me off the ground as if I were weightless. What some would consider the embrace of a loving father, I felt as the deadly serpent shawl of a war monger. "What happened while I was asleep?"

He sets me down, looking at me curiously. "Your mother and I were so worried, but we knew you were strong. We knew you would wake up eventually."

Duke Ewell brushed the hair away from my face, and I try my best not to flinch away from his touch. "Of course I am, Father. Look at the young lady before you. Not just a fair complexion, but also the composition of a warrior," I say with just the right amount of arrogance to pass off as Amalie. The Duke looks at me, and for a second I think he's already somehow managed to figure me out. Thankfully, he just laughs at my haughty attitude and agrees with me instead.

"That's right, how could I ever forget how amazing my daughter is." He smiles at me once more before his tone changes into something stern and business-like, but not so much that I'd consider it threatening. "Amalie, I received notice about an hour ago that Queen Rista became aware of your condition. She arranged a meeting for tomorrow to offer condolences and to wish for you good fortune."