Chapter 18

Chapter 18

When I appeared for training the next day, my friends noticed my unkempt hair and ruffled uniform, but chose not to ask further on the matter. I woke before Prince Cole in the morning, and quietly snuck away without moving him too much as to ensure I didn't wake him. The sun was barely rising, and my drool staining his shoulder would have been mortifying to face first thing in the morning.

Grace seemed especially curious, but Percival snapped at her to fall back in formation as we made our daily training rounds. I've noticed it before, but he seems especially critical of Grace compared to his behavior towards the rest of us, she doesn't seem to mind the treatment but it doesn't sit well with me at times. Philip and Geoffrey don't seem to be any the wiser either, they're too preoccupied with their own fantasies and private banter filled with jokes only childhood friends could understand.

Prince Cole should have awoken by now; I wonder if he already went back to work or if he chose to spend the morning resting a bit more. His father is too ill to do most of his kingly duties, so the responsibility falls on the Crown Prince. He hasn't slept well since I've assumed my post, so I hope he takes some time to recuperate.

I couldn't focus well on training this morning, it could have been because I was tired, or it could have been because I was distracted, but either way I do have to get this fanatic obsession out of my mind if I am to figure out a proper plan to survive the rest of this novel. To my fellow knights, I must have seemed to be in a very distant daze throughout the entire morning because at lunch Philip snaps his fingers in front of my eyes. Only then did I realize that I haven't eaten anything, just pushed around some steamed vegetables with my fork.

"Amalie," he extends the last sound, mimicking a whining child, "you've barely spoken all day. I wonder, where does that mind of yours runs off to sometimes." Philip's voice is concerned but it's muffled through a mouthful of bread and potatoes. Percival glares at his informality and lack of table manners, but I'm guessing for my sake, decides not to comment further. Old habits die hard, but he's at least trying to act his rank.

Percival and I still haven't talked about his past since that day in the courtyard, but by the looks of it he probably doesn't want to be reminded or pitied because of the situation any more than necessary. He diverts his eyes whenever they cross mine, and I wonder if there's anything else he's hiding from me, though I'm not one to pry in matters that don't concern me. "If Lady Amalie wishes to confide in any of us, I'm almost certain you wouldn't be her first choice," he says to Philip, staring down at his plate.

Philip pouts and Geoffrey rubs his shoulder in support. "But if there is anything you'd like to tell us Amy, we'd be more than happy to listen," Grace says, reaching for my hand.

"I apologize if I've caused any worry but it's nothing of much importance. My mind however is rampant with occupants so I'm not opposed to opening the floor to conversation if it meant I could distract myself for a moment." Grace still looks at me concerned, but shakes her head a bit and it seems like her worry fades as she turns to the rest of the group. "What shall we discuss?"

Geoffrey looks at the two of us, "Well what would you like to know m'lady?" He wraps an arm around Philip and I realize I don't know much about these two friends. I know Grace and Percival's history, but for how outgoing these two are, they are still a mystery to me. Who knows, maybe by understanding a bit more about who they are I can use that information to garner them to my side once my eventual plan to protect Crown Prince Cole is finalized. The more allies the better.

I place my fork across my plate and look up at the two with a smile. "Entertain me with the story of Philip and Geoffrey. What is important to the childhood friends from the country side."