Chapter 4

Ritsuka, still in his half alive trance, slowly made his way to home room. He hasn't spoken a word or looked at anyone since last night. He couldn't even believe that last night happened. Right when he had her back she was taken away again... His fingers gripped around the photo in his pocket.

"Hey, Ritsuka!" Cole stood up straight and walked towards him from homeroom. "Some Mexican lady is waiting for you. She said she had to ask you something really important."

"Mexican lady?" Ritsuka questioned for a second before his mind snapped back to life. "Where is she?"

"Home room." Cole answered. "Do you know her?" he asked, puzzled.

"She's a friend of mine." Ritsuka replied as he ran into his classroom. Sure enough, there was Rebecca talking frantically with the teacher. "Rebecca, what's wrong?"

"Ritsuka, where's Ami?! Is she with you?" Rebecca asked, her voice raspy, her eyes tear worn and puffy.

"What? No, why?" Ritsuka asked as he grabbed her shoulders. His heart seemed to be thumping in his throat, his insides in knots.

"Right after you left with your father she ran off! She hasn't come back and I don't know where she is!" Rebecca broke down into more tears.

Ritsuka let her go and took a step back, taking it all in. There were no words to describe how helpless and hopeless he felt right now. He shook his head, desperately trying to get the black thoughts out of his head, and ran out of the school toward the beach...______________________________________________

She took in a shaky breath as the calm, morning waves gently pushed her further in the beach. The sun had already dried and warmed her now salty face and some of her clothes were dry and crusty from the sea salt. Her limbs were sore and her insides ached. She had no idea where she was or how she got there, but neither did she care. She had decided to lie there and wait patiently for death to ease her away, even if that thing playing with her toes won't stop. Playing with her toes? Ami quickly sat straight up to find...___________________

Ritsuka ran and ran on the endless beach. She just had to be there, where else would she go? He had to run into her sometime, this island wasn't that big. He couldn't help but feel as if this was his entire fault. Like, if Ami was hurt he'd be to blame..._____________________________________________________

The girl woke up at the slightest touch of the little things she had at the tips of her legs. Curiosity and fear plastered her drowsy, golden eyes, but she didn't look like she remembered him. He wondered how she had forgotten someone like him. He hasn't forgotten her, even though it has been a long time since they've seen each other. He couldn't forget that fabled red hair and those honey eyes. This was the second time he's saved her, anyways...

Ami looked at the boy with bronze hair and wondered why he was shirtless. Did he just save her? She gazed at his sea foam eyes amazement. They were the most gorgeous color she had ever seen. And his sun-kissed skin was rich and dazzling; she was so tempted to touch him just to make sure he was real. But those urges disappeared as soon as she noticed the shining blue tail glistening in the water...

Ami gazed at him for a moment, searching for an imperfection to make sure he was real. When she came up empty handed she decided that this was all a dream. A hallucination right before she dies. A very handsome hallucination...

"H-hi..." Ami stuttered through her lips at the merman mirage. He gave her a curious look because she was talking in a language he has never heard before. Ami slapped her forehead, of course he didn't know what she was saying! He's a merman mirage for crying out loud. So, pointing to herself, she stated, "A-mi."