Chapter 13

Ami opened her eyes to the bright sunlight after a nap. While she yawned and stretched herself she checked the time. It was almost noon. Shyly, she opened the door to her room and looked around. “Rebecca?” she called out, searching for her guardian. There was no response meaning that she hadn’t come back from her shopping yet.

Glad that she was alone so she wouldn’t have to sneak around, Ami nonchalantly walked over to the main entrance and out of the house into the overwhelming sunlight. She growled up at the sky. It was just raining yesterday. Why must the weather be so bipolar on this little island? Ami looked around the hill, still on high alert for Rebecca, before deciding that the coast was clear and making her way towards the beach. ~~~

“When are you going to ask her? I do not think I can distract your father’s guards for much longer. This must end soon.” the queen informed her son.

Mitsukuni averted his eyes away from his mother as he gave a slight sigh in frustration.

She sighed at her only child. “You must enchant her, Mitsukuni,” his mother informed him as she reached over and gave his shoulders a reassuring squeeze. Mitsukuni gave her a questioning look in response. “Show her our world. Display to her how amazing it is to live in the sea. Maybe then she will ask to come.”

“It would never work.” Mitsukuni stated pessimistically, turning away from his mother once again.

“Why not?” she asked him innocently.

Mitsukuni sighed before answering, “Because she thinks she might love someone else as well…”   

The queen did not answer to the boy, which was to be expected. She had no idea what ‘love’ was. But from the look on her son’s anguished face, it was obviously something of major importance. She raised her hands up to her son’s face and gently turned him to face her. “Then maybe she is not the-”

“She is the princess!” Mitsukuni yelled as he pushed his mother away from him. “Mother, I do not think you understand any of this! Just as the princess changed the heart of the cold prince this girl is changing me! She makes me feel all of these…things! Wonderful things! And hurtful ones, too… Mother, you do not know how she is affecting me… I cannot give up now. Not until I know I have lost.”

The queen gazed up at her son in bewilderment. Was this really the child she raised? How did he turn out so rebellious and courageous and so full of…emotions? She smiled non-the-less as she nodded her approval. “A mother should always stand besides what her child decides to do. You are old enough to make your own decisions, Mitsukuni. I am glad you are doing this which gives you such…happiness.”

Mitsukuni let go of a held breath, glad that his mother still stood by his side even though the situation was only getting worse. He looked upwards at the waves. The sun was almost directly above them in the center of the sky.

His mother nodded in understanding, knowing that he had to leave. She touched his forehead in farewell before she was gone… ~~~

“Y-y-y!” Rebecca couldn’t get the words to escape her lips.

“Rebecca.” Dally mumbled with an annoyed scowl on his face. “I was wondering when you’d drop by, actually.” His frown disappeared and his facial expression turned disinterested and bored, even.

“W-w-what? How do you know my name?!” Rebecca gasped, feeling her face get hot in embarrassment.

“The red-head said it while I was at your mansion, remember?”